Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 03-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2011 Zero XU Unveiled

Original Article:
2011 Zero XU Unveiled

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Zero XU Unveiled in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Okay, even though I was not a fan of the electrics before, I gotta say there 'ain't no way' I'm gonna ride a bike called a 'Zero Zoo!'

And $600 for the quick charger!?

Brings new meaning to the term, "re-volting!"

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

That removable battery is pretty smart when you think about it. I was thinking about getting an Empulse and riding it to work (about 42-44 miles round trip). It would be neat if I could recharge the bike the 9 hours I'm in the office, but there's no outdoor plugs except in the patio. And I'm not sure what management would say about using one if it were available.

So, you schlep the battery in, disguised with a Power Ranger lunchbox theme, and STICK IT TO THE MAN by recharging it under your desk, on the company's dime. Nice.

How about "Zero Xanadu." That's got a nice gay ring to it.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
That removable battery is pretty smart when you think about it.
Looks to me like it needs a HANDLE.

At the price, I don't think I'll be owning one any time soon but I would REALLY like to ride one........just for grins.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You know, if this has any bearing on electric motorcycles, I have an electric wheelchair, it has two deep-cycle marine batteries wired in series to get 24 volts, it also weighs 300 lbs, and goes 10 mph. Range on a full charge is about fifty miles. And when you're out of juice, you are stuck.

Now my Honda chair has a 6.5 hp Honda 70 motor in it, and a 1/2 gallon gas tank. I have a 75 mile range on the gas, and if I run out, I just disengage the motor, and it's a standard wheelchair again.

Until there is a quantum leap in battery technology, or these doofuses who design the ebikes can put a small hybrid system in it, the bikes will be relegated to rich kids who have more money than sense, and want to "be green" for an ex-girlfriend or something.

GAS IS BESTUS.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
eMotoRules
Registered Member

These bikes are not eligible for the federal tax credit under Section 30 of the IRS Code. To be eligible, a 2-wheel vehicle must be powered by a battery with at least a 2.5 kWh capacity. Buy an extra battery doesn't change the fact that it can only be powered by one 2 kWh battery at a time.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I guess I just don't get it. Sitting here on my work bench is a 48cc EPA approved two cycle hoooked up to a 900 watt generator (at 3/4 power).

The motor will fun for FIVE HOURS on one gallon of gas, and puts out enough juice to power a brushless 6 HP electric motor. So that means if you took this generator unit, that's about as big as two loaves of bread, and weighs 46 lbs, stuck it in that frame somewhere, you would have a HYBRID motorcycle that could either run on the batteries, a combo of the batteries and the generator, or just the generator.

Seems to make sense, since the Electromotive division of General Motors has been doing that for sixty years now, with some success....