Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Kawasaki Fixes ZX-10R Problem (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/17314-kawasaki-fixes-zx-10r-problem.html)

Administrator 12-30-2010 09:23 AM

Kawasaki Fixes ZX-10R Problem
 

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/kawasaki-fixes-zx10r-problem-90255.html">Kawasaki Fixes ZX-10R Problem</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Kawasaki Fixes ZX-10R Problem in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Morbo the Destroyer 12-30-2010 10:30 AM

Did they really have to buy the bikes back to change out the camshaft and valves? Seems like overkill to me.

Kevin_Duke 12-30-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 253943)
Did they really have to buy the bikes back to change out the camshaft and valves? Seems like overkill to me.

I think the reason for the buy-back was simply to get potentially troublesome bikes out of the hands of consumers ASAP. Hopefully this is the last news item on this subject.

The_AirHawk 12-30-2010 02:04 PM

OK, WTF is "valve surge"? Do they meant bounce, or maybe uncontrolled-lift? (i.e. the valve essentially opens beyond the amount the camshaft acuates - essentially "flinging" the valve open, stopping only when the spring goes to coil-bind)

Kevin_Duke 12-30-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 253956)
OK, WTF is "valve surge"? Do they meant bounce, or maybe uncontrolled-lift? (i.e. the valve essentially opens beyond the amount the camshaft acuates - essentially "flinging" the valve open, stopping only when the spring goes to coil-bind)

Kawi's wording was deliberately careful, so they didn't say specifically. But I think you're on the right track.

pushrod 12-30-2010 07:48 PM

I think the word "float" was not chosen for a reason.

Sounds like 'Hawk is right. At 'exuberant' rpm's, the problem may be that the valves were staying open too long, and the piston(s) may have struck them. That would cause seating problems, all right!

The_AirHawk 12-30-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 253965)
I think the word "float" was not chosen for a reason.

Sounds like 'Hawk is right. At 'exuberant' rpm's, the problem may be that the valves were staying open too long, and the piston(s) may have struck them. That would cause seating problems, all right!

Dammit but I hate that! For some reason the words "valve float" I could not bring into my head. You should see me attempt to carry on a conversation in-person. I swear to God that I never stuttered as a child, but now that I'm "Middle Age" you'd think I was GW Bush or Obama off the teleprompter.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:27 AM.