Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R Technical Issue (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/17209-2011-kawasaki-zx-10r-technical-issue.html)

Administrator 12-11-2010 08:13 PM

2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R Technical Issue
 

Original Article:
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R Technical Issue

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R Technical Issue in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Morbo the Destroyer 12-12-2010 09:02 AM

Who wants to bet $14 that the "It's NOT a Recall" recall is due to issue with the traction control/ABS/fueling system? Kawasaki stepped those systems up to a new level, and I'll bet it bit them.

Has another motorcycle manufacturer ever actually refunded money to buyers before and demanded the bike back?

What happens if somebody decides to keep their bike?

MOKE1K 12-12-2010 10:57 AM

They probably will not allow you to keep the bike. The only time I can remember any refund talk was the R6 due to the exaggeration of redline in all the write ups.

Seems Kawasaki is keeping consistent with past years as far as I can remember. They have always had problems with their sportbikes. The 07ZX6R were prone to top end seizure. Had a few pistons with valves stuck in them on my desk for display.

MOKE1K 12-12-2010 10:57 AM

Kawasaki I think always has had problems because they always want the numbers. Lightest weight, highest horse power always trying to squeeze the most out of their bikes. A company I believe concentrates to much on selling a bike by specs (numbers).

Kevin_Duke 12-12-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 253156)
Who wants to bet $14 that the "It's NOT a Recall" recall is due to issue with the traction control/ABS/fueling system? Kawasaki stepped those systems up to a new level, and I'll bet it bit them.

Rumors suggest a mechanical issue surrounding mis-matched components, not electronics. We'll see.

Morbo the Destroyer 12-12-2010 11:29 AM

Who wants to bet $16 the recall is over mis-matched components? :D

Moke, how can Kawasaki "not allow you to keep the bike" if it's bought and paid for? Even if you finance a bike, that deal is between you and the bank; Kawi is not involved. The only real leverage they have, as far as I can tell, is to deny future warranty or liability claims. I'm not saying people shouldn't turn the bikes in for repair, but it seems pretty drastic to buy the bikes back rather than repair them. Hell, you could replace the engine in 1/2 a day.

So, when is somebody going to cover the Ducati gas tank fiasco? It seems to me the media is turning a blind eye to a damn big issue. Our own Buzzglyd can't Duc can't be ridden due to tank failure.

MOKE1K 12-12-2010 03:35 PM

Yes, I realize they can't make you bring it back. If the owner chooses to keep it he'll forfiet any and all liabilities that can occur. Besides whatever the consequences who's going to take the risk. Course on that note if it's possible to be fixed without Kawasakis hand someone will figure it out. I'd like to hear what the problems are once it's public knowledge. This is so Kawasaki.

Morbo the Destroyer 12-13-2010 05:14 AM

Well it is only 20 bikes in the entire US...

As opposed to Honda's Goldwing recall back in the late 90's early 00's. In that case, Honda had to re-weld a frame section (near the headstock IIRC). Of course they had to keep the bikes for weeks while they disassembled the bikes to do it, and a lot of owners never bothered getting it done.

Kevin_Duke 12-13-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 253175)
Well it is only 20 bikes in the entire US...

As opposed to Honda's Goldwing recall back in the late 90's early 00's. In that case, Honda had to re-weld a frame section (near the headstock IIRC). Of course they had to keep the bikes for weeks while they disassembled the bikes to do it, and a lot of owners never bothered getting it done.

My recollection is that it was the rear part of the frame near the swingarm pivot section. Continual soaking of engine heat in this area gradually softened the aluminum, causing structural issues.

acecycleins 12-13-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 253199)
My recollection is that it was the rear part of the frame near the swingarm pivot section. Continual soaking of engine heat in this area gradually softened the aluminum, causing structural issues.

Huh, sir, your subframe is sagging.
Mister, don't talk about my girlfriend like that.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 AM.