Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 12-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Here's the Honda recall:
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V027000
Recall Date : JAN 28, 2005

Component: STRUCTURE:FRAME AND MEMBERS

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 34919

Summary:
ON SOME MOTORCYCLES, CERTAIN FRAME WELDS DO NOT MEET MANUFACTURING SPECIFICATIONS. HIGH LOADS CREATED WHEN RIDING ON ROUGH ROAD SURFACES OR THROUGH POTHOLES CAN CAUSE THE AFFECTED WELDS TO CRACK.

Consequence:
THE WELDED AREA COULD BREAK, RESULTING IN REAR SUSPENSION COLLAPSE OR LOWER CROSS MEMBER SEPARATION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, REINFORCE THE WELDS ON 2001-2002 MOTORCYCLES. ON 2003-2004 MOTORCYCLES, THE UNITS WILL BE REPAIRED, NO INSPECTION WILL BE NECESSARY.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
FastGuy1976
Registered Member

Default Tech Hold vs Recall

The only difference between recall and Tech Hold is semantics. If this came up a month from now, it would be considered a recall. But since they weren't sold on a mass scale and most were still in the hands of Kawasaki-by definition they are holding them. Too bad.. Not what they need right now! Though better to have it right instead of decimating the reputation of the new ZX-10R. Kawasaki tells me that we should expect them in the spring.

Last edited by FastGuy1976 : 12-13-2010 at 02:31 PM.
FastGuy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I saw many GL's get the recall performed, no big deal just have to remove the kickstand and body work and lay it on it's side. The welder was hired by Honda they would not let any of the techs perform the job of welding it just remove and reinstall.

This issue with the Kawasaki is a little different they aren't recalling anything, it's a buy back what ever that means. Taking it for what is though I'd say it's something so messed up they prefer to take this action rather then the latter. Who knows, be I teresting to hear. Even stopped by to check it out today. The tails ugly but I'm sure its a monster. A very light monster!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I had a 06ZX10R once in our shop that ended up having a coolant leak that was leaking through pores in the aluminum. A atv that had the end of an allen broken off inside the pumpkin that was digging into the inside of the case as it rotated. These are just a few things Iv worked on and witnessed not even going the bring up the vn1500's.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:17 AM   #15
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Exclamation Update

ZX-10R Sales Hold To Be Lifted. Valve Spring Was Culprit.
Thursday, December 30, 2010
This just in from Kawasaki USA:

SALES HOLD ON 2011 NINJA® ZX?-10R TO BE LIFTED IN JANUARY

Kawasaki dealers to resume sales as normal.

IRVINE, Calif. (Dec. 29, 2010)---Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. today announced that the recent sales hold placed on the 2011 Ninja® ZX?-10R sportbike is expected to be lifted in late January and that sales of the highly-anticipated unit will resume as normal.

According to Kawasaki engineers, the proactive sales hold resulted from a finding that indicated possible surging of the intake valve spring when the unit is operated under unique riding conditions, such as on a racetrack. The surge could cause the intake valve to seat improperly, resulting in poor engine performance.

The camshaft, valve springs, and spring retainers are being replaced to prevent the valves from surging, without affecting engine performance.

From Superbikeplanet!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
ZX-10R Sales Hold To Be Lifted. Valve Spring Was Culprit.
Thursday, December 30, 2010
This just in from Kawasaki USA:

SALES HOLD ON 2011 NINJA® ZX?-10R TO BE LIFTED IN JANUARY

Kawasaki dealers to resume sales as normal.

IRVINE, Calif. (Dec. 29, 2010)---Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. today announced that the recent sales hold placed on the 2011 Ninja® ZX?-10R sportbike is expected to be lifted in late January and that sales of the highly-anticipated unit will resume as normal.

According to Kawasaki engineers, the proactive sales hold resulted from a finding that indicated possible surging of the intake valve spring when the unit is operated under unique riding conditions, such as on a racetrack. The surge could cause the intake valve to seat improperly, resulting in poor engine performance.

The camshaft, valve springs, and spring retainers are being replaced to prevent the valves from surging, without affecting engine performance.

From Superbikeplanet!
C'mon, Moke! At least link to our news story on it!
http://www.motorcycle.com/news/kawas...lem-90255.html
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
C'mon, Moke! At least link to our news story on it!
http://www.motorcycle.com/news/kawas...lem-90255.html
March him up to the Commandant and rip his Moderator epaulets from his shoulders!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
March him up to the Commandant and rip his Moderator epaulets from his shoulders!
Nah, he's worked too hard to get them! Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #19
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Sorry

Im not sure I know what you mean.

If I copy it from somewhere else don't I have to say who it's by? Is his what you meant? Sorry again.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Im not sure I know what you mean.

If I copy it from somewhere else don't I have to say who it's by? Is his what you meant? Sorry again.
No worries, Moke! I was just saying that MO had a story on this, and you could've linked to it instead of a rival site.