Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Cowboycamper
Registered Member

Question Need a lighter bike, still need leg room

Hi all, I have a Suzuki 1500 Intruder[/b][/b] (653 Lbs Dry, plus many extras added) which has perfect leg room, for I can't have a shorter bike due to my knees. But, I find the bike top heavy now due to health reason that has created some muscle weakness. I'd like to get a lighter bike around 1000 CC's or a bike that isn't so top heavy, but still need the length for leg reach. Does anyone have a suggestion of a suitable make, model and size. Thanks in advance.
Cowboycamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Perhaps the Kawasaki Vulcan 900. It's got great looks, has smaller displacement. I'm not sure about how much lighter, though.

You may also want to consider the offerings from Triumph, like the America or Speedmaster. Another option from them is the old-school Bonneville -- much lighter and way more nimble than what you currently have. Check 'em out!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Welcome to the world of Adventure bikes- Your Kawasaki KLR is waiting for you. Honestly, there are no real choices of "light" cruisers for tall, long limbed peoples.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

The Tiger 1050 was made just for you.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The Tiger 1050 was made just for you.
No, the Tiger 1050 was made just for you.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Cowboycamper
Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments so far.

I like the look of the Tiger 1050, the only issue I have is I need to keep my legs straight out which a cruiser is more suited. My knees don't cooperate with a sports bike. I have sat on a Vulcan 900 which has similar dry weight but feels lighter, weight seems to be lower and the leg reach is good. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboycamper View Post
Thanks for all the comments so far.

I like the look of the Tiger 1050, the only issue I have is I need to keep my legs straight out which a cruiser is more suited. My knees don't cooperate with a sports bike. I have sat on a Vulcan 900 which has similar dry weight but feels lighter, weight seems to be lower and the leg reach is good. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Can you sit in a chair? The Tiger's position is pretty-much upright, decidedly NOT the Sportbike "Racer's Crouch".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
Cowboycamper
Registered Member

I just came from a bike shop and sat on a 2007 Tiger. Very nice bike, but no go. I need to stick with a cruiser, I need to stretch my legs forward, so far my Intruder 1500 has the best fit, I just have to recover my strength over the winter. Thanks all for the comments.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
A Star Ride
Registered Member

There's a guy in my riding club has a 900 Vulcan, he is in his 60's about 5 ft 4 and maybe 150# and manages it well, even 2 up
Old 09-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

You should have sat on the Bonneville America or Speedmaster. While they are 900cc their light weight and upgrades make them more than a match for most 1300cc cruisers. They have the forward pegs too.