Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Ducati Withdrawing Factory WSBK Team

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/ducati-withdrawing-factory-wsbk-team-89896.html">Ducati Withdrawing Factory WSBK Team</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Ducati Withdrawing Factory WSBK Team in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

"Ducati will redirect its resources towards product development. ... the decision will lead to a faster transfer of new technology to production models ..."

What a load of horsecrap. WSBK is the series closest to production bikes, ergo improvements made in this series are the quickest to make it into production bikes.

This decision is part of a specific strategy made by Ducati, the aim being to further increase technological content in production models

Like what, 300 series rear-tires? After riding their DL1000 knock-off (at double the DL's price), I really have to wonder what Ducati is doing these days. I'll take one of those Paul Smart cafe bikes, but they can keep the rest.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

“This decision is part of a specific strategy made by Ducati, the aim being to further increase technological content in production models that will arrive on the market in the coming years,” says Gabriele Del Torchio, president and chief executive officer of Ducati. “In order to achieve this objective, the company’s technical resources, until now engaged with the management of the factory Superbike team, will instead be dedicated to the development of the new generation of hypersport bikes, in both their homologated and Superbike race versions.”

Translation: We're going bankrupt again.

What a load. Does he expect anyone to believe this spin? Why not be honest for a change? "We can't afford to field a factory team right now." Could respect something like that.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's really pretty simple. Ducati needs to develop a winning 1000 cc GP bike in 1 year. The little factory doesn't have the resources to R&D the new motor and develop new parts for the WSBK team at the same time. It's not about salaries or sponsors. It's all about timing. When the 2013 season start bet that a works bike is on the grid.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
... I really have to wonder what Ducati is doing these days. I'll take one of those Paul Smart cafe bikes, but they can keep the rest.
Au contraire, mon fraire! Ducati is producing the best stuff in the biz right now. After the 1198 (currently the world's sexiest sportbike) and the new MultiStrada (currently the world's most... Heck, I don't know!), Ducati is a serious player.

IMHO, Ducati, Triumph, and Kawasaki are leading the pack right now in innovation and style.