Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Moto3 Class Confirmed for 2012

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/moto3-class-confirmed-for-2012-89870.html">Moto3 Class Confirmed for 2012</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Moto3 Class Confirmed for 2012 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Wow. Last year the 250cc GP was changed to 600cc Honda engines only, vastly multiplying the expense for privateers and young racers. Now the 125 Class is switching to short life, expensive 4 strokes as well. I guess HonYamKawSuz couldn't stand the shame of being unable to compete with Aprilia and Derbi.

I'd love to see the personal finances of the FIM officials involved. No more arguments about the "purity" of MotoGP please.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I hate this inevitable outcome. Sad to see racing on a closed coarse has come to this. Subjected to standards that are usually left for the road going vehicles, not racing.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

OK, the FIM has Officially Jumped the Shark.

Time to ignore these guys, and start another Organizational Body that isn't as corrupt as a Mexican Tamarindo........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

How's it more exxpensive. The largest grid in the series. Can't get that if the cost was high. Sealed engines and frame builders out the wazoo. I'd bet that building the Am Honda Mori M2 bike isn't much different than the Daytona Sportbike.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

250 2 stroke.

600cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke.

Yeah, Ace. The 600s are going to be just a cheap to run. (eyes rollling)
Old 08-18-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
250 2 stroke.

600cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke.

Yeah, Ace. The 600s are going to be just a cheap to run. (eyes rollling)
2 strokes- need to be developed just like 4 strokes. They use to be proprietary. They had factory support but to think that making sure the 2 strokes were cheaper to maintain is not correct because you had service internals after every race.

4 strokes in M2- Sealed. 600rr based. serviced after the third race by HONDA because they are leased to the teams at a cheaper rate than the cost per race of a proprietary two stroke.

You can argue all you want about the cost of maintaining a 2 stroke, but in GP M2 the cost is Honda's with the single engine rule. If they use a "common" cpu (and using a shared bore/stroke like the new 2012 GP rules the 4 stroke M3 class) is not going to be much different in cost when the rules take effect as they are today with the current 2 strokes.

I know it kills you 2 stroke guys that this is changing, but I would wager steaks and beers with anyone that the manufacturers are the ones wanting to ditch the motors and move to 4 strokes. It's not a DORNA thing alone.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
I know it kills you 2 stroke guys that this is changing, but I would wager steaks and beers with anyone that the manufacturers are the ones wanting to ditch the motors and move to 4 strokes. It's not a DORNA thing alone.
At least it's not a spec engine (yet). Moto2 is now officially the most boringest racing venue on two wheels.

I'm not worried. In the not too distant future 4 stroke race bike will be a thing of the past. The new clean burning direct injection two strokes are the thing to watch. Now that they are emission compliant you'll even see car manufacturers going that way. Vastly cheaper to produce. Greatly reduced weight.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

I disagree, Seru. I like the close racing, fairing banging, etc. in Moto2. If only there were a few 'Mericans in the mix, it'd be great!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

I think that M2 is pretty good, too. The "sealed" Honda deal has an expiration date. After that, expect the Facotry guys to come calling with the same static bore/stroke that will be part of GP in 2012. Watching a Yamaha 600 prototype Bimota framed bike in M2 would certainly be interesting. Or Kawasaki 600 in a Mori frame or......