Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default MV Agusta Sold for 1 Euro

Original Article:
MV Agusta Sold for 1 Euro

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article MV Agusta Sold for 1 Euro in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
MOKE1K
Registered Member

So the whole thing was just so Harley could write it off?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

I was right! 1 euro. Classic!! Hell, for 20 mill in operating capital MO could have bought it and employed the Italians.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Voyager
Registered Member

Italian corporate law is such a nightmare I'm amazed people still get involved in deals with them. Last time I read up on it a company could not go bankrupt - hence this selling for 1€ business.

But Harley selling a motorcycle business for a song to the Castiglioni brothers is getting to be a habit. They did this when their deal with Aermacchi went sour in the early '70's. They amalgamated that into their Cagiva empire until that was 'restructured' and became...... MV Agusta.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
MTRHEAD75
Founding Member

Harley is doomed....Oh they will keep selling bikes but nothing like they are used to....their market is drying up by the numbers that already own one and to the fact that their main customer base will be dying from old age soon.40 and over mostly seem to want harleys and 39 and younger really dont want anything to do with them.They have become what Cadilac used to be, for old farts only..No offense to any old fart that rides.
MTRHEAD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Did I not say the whole thing cost Harley no-more than $170 Million?

I didn't mention Tax write-off, as I assumed anyone that's ever dealt with Giant Evil Corporations knows that's a Given. But I suppose I should have.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

So, the 20 made the difference in the write off, huh? If we just had a national sales tax instead of tax code no one can translate.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #8
anrajala
Founding Member

I don’t know what it is with the Italians that with these business deals with the Yanks they seem to end up with shyteloads of cash.

I remember GM bought a slice of Fiat and, unbelievably, agreed to buy the rest of the Fiat later on, no matter what. Fast forward some years and GM had to pay Fiat 2 bn dollars AND their Fiat shares for the right of NOT buying rest of the company.

Money well spent if you’ve ever owned a Fiat car. But still I wonder from which business school the GM negotiators came from.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
newbie-b
Founding Member

What were the board od directors at HD thinking? They dropped the Buell line, now they dropped the MV Agusta line for a song and now they are left with a cruiser line that only old men want to buy. Unless there is something I am missing at the upper levels of the business world, the HD name is losing it's grip on the cycling world.

Another thing is why do companies purchase anything in Italy if you get screwed whenever you decide to sell...
newbie-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie-b View Post
What were the board od directors at HD thinking?
"How can I take more money out of the company and put it in my pocket?"

That's what they're ALWAYS thinking.