Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Honda cutting prices in Japan (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/15721-honda-cutting-prices-japan.html)

Administrator 07-06-2010 09:44 AM

Honda cutting prices in Japan

Original Article:
Honda cutting prices in Japan

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Honda cutting prices in Japan in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 07-06-2010 12:58 PM

So, Honda is dumping in Japan. Sort of like they did here back in the 80s.

Dr_Sprocket 07-06-2010 07:00 PM

Me thinks that Honda, like Harley, has found the current market can't bear their exorbitant prices. It's about time they woke up!

pplassm 07-06-2010 07:09 PM

It might work. If it does, it might spread.

Right now, I think the growth area is in scooters. The under 50cc, non license/insurance requiring kind. They are finally finding a foothold in this country.

Interesting that Kawasaki and Suzuki refuse to sell them in this country.

seruzawa 07-06-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 245048)
It might work. If it does, it might spread.

Right now, I think the growth area is in scooters. The under 50cc, non license/insurance requiring kind. They are finally finding a foothold in this country.

Interesting that Kawasaki and Suzuki refuse to sell them in this country.

Not out west. Speeds are too high. 50cc bikes are a horror anywhere else than dense urban environments.

MOKE1K 07-07-2010 04:13 AM

Honda is turning back a decade of inflation by reducing the price of its motorcycles in Japan to levels not seen since 2000.

Dang where's are reduction?

sarnali2 07-07-2010 06:38 AM

Honda announces opening two more plants in Vietnam because of lower costs, I guess the worm has turned for them eh? so much for Japan Inc. and the ancient 80's

seruzawa 07-07-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 245076)
Honda announces opening two more plants in Vietnam because of lower costs, I guess the worm has turned for them eh? so much for Japan Inc. and the ancient 80's

Oh, Honda moved some production overseas a long time ago. In this case Honda is relying on higher overseas prices on bikes to support loss level prices domestically. This is called dumping and in the USA is illegal and gets you things like special tariffs on bikes over 700cc.

sarnali2 07-07-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 245082)
Oh, Honda moved some production overseas a long time ago. In this case Honda is relying on higher overseas prices on bikes to support loss level prices domestically. This is called dumping and in the USA is illegal and gets you things like special tariffs on bikes over 700cc.

That only works when you have a President with some balls and pride in and love for all things American. Besides, $22k for a VFR is entirely reasonable and I think you should sell that crummy oil-leaker Triumph and buy one.

silentgrayfellow 07-07-2010 10:38 PM

"Prices are expected to drop from 10 to 30 percent, and will go into effect when each model receives a full or minor update."

This ought to do wonders for sales of current, non-updated models.