Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 07-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Well hell I didn't realize they made exhausts for Harley Davidsons. In 93 D&D was one of our shops most recommended exhaust if the customer was looking at extracting the most hp, next to Yoshimura of course.

These days all the D&D exhaust systems sound like their missing half of the baffling. With companies such as Akrapovich, Graves and others they have deffinately faded out of the racing scene.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Well hell I didn't realize they made exhausts for Harley Davidsons. In 93 D&D was one of our shops most recommended exhaust if the customer was looking at extracting the most hp, next to Yoshimura of course.

These days all the D&D exhaust systems sound like their missing half of the baffling. With companies such as Akrapovich, Graves and others they have deffinately faded out of the racing scene.
No worries on choosing those pipes. Now once you try both you'll really know what the differences are. ZZTOP come on man I ain't that young!
Old 07-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
No worries on choosing those pipes. Now once you try both you'll really know what the differences are. ZZTOP come on man I ain't that young!

phukin' with ya' brew..... I'm surprised the Akro's are not the thing anymore. I don't follow racing much but they thought they were the shizzz. D&D and Supertrapp both make performance pipes that give a solid boost over the stockers, Supertrap uses a mechanical baffle while D&D is an open pipe with packing. The ID on these is similar to stock so I assumed they'd be fairly quiet but that's not the case. Anyway most guys on the HD sites I check out say the SE's too quiet so I figure they'll be just right. I just want a little more flow at the higher end, not more noise.......anyway we'll see when they get here I guess. Either way they're EPA pipes so they should be good.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Whew!

Whew! I'm glad LR isn't around anymore to tag on to this discussion. FWIW, Crashley predicted this, oh, almost five years ago.

BTW, where is that little lady these days? Any of you OG's know where she's hanging out?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Yeah he'd be having a field day ion this. I don't know what happened to her or Sister Mary Kim either for that matter, off to greener pastures I guess...

The whole loud pipe thing is a product of the yuppification of HD you know. Back in the day we ran fairly stock pipes or knocked out the baffles in stock pipes because the cops would use any excuse to pull you over. A few brave souls ran drag pipes but for the most part you just ran what you had. Besides spending hours on the bike with loud pipes gives you a headache.. There weren't that many people riding Harleys anyway so it didn't make much difference.

All of a sudden everyone and their uncle wants to be a biker so you have this massive pile of weekend warriors trying to spin off the lifestyle and be bad boyz. As with any copycat you have to one-up the original so now you have these dumbsh*ts with six inch long open pipes pissing everyone off all decked out in "the uniform" riding around down town or the beach or wherever the action is. It doesn't matter if the bikes obnoxious because they don't spend much time on them anyway, it's all smoke and mirrors.

If you get out in the sticks where people actually ride their motorcycles you'll find either stock or almost stock quiet performance pipes, as Seruzawa or LR or KM or 12r, any of us people that's put lots of miles on and you'll get the same answer, it's rare to find loud pipes on a high mileage bike, there's a real good reason for that........anyway a blind man could have seen this coming, you piss in the citizens Cheerios for long enough and they will slap your ass down with the help of their vote grabbing friends in the legislature.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
phukin' with ya' brew..... I'm surprised the Akro's are not the thing anymore. I don't follow racing much but they thought they were the shizzz. D&D and Supertrapp both make performance pipes that give a solid boost over the stockers, Supertrap uses a mechanical baffle while D&D is an open pipe with packing. The ID on these is similar to stock so I assumed they'd be fairly quiet but that's not the case. Anyway most guys on the HD sites I check out say the SE's too quiet so I figure they'll be just right. I just want a little more flow at the higher end, not more noise.......anyway we'll see when they get here I guess. Either way they're EPA pipes so they should be good.

No I meant D&D is out, not Akra. Akrapovich is the Shiz-nit dawg.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
No I meant D&D is out, not Akra. Akrapovich is the Shiz-nit dawg.

Ahh, that's what I thought, all race bikes I see, admittedly not many but the ones I see all run Akropovich, them and Arrow makes some good sportbike cans. D&D's are still pretty popular with the HD crowd

Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #18
SDRider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
All of a sudden everyone and their uncle wants to be a biker so you have this massive pile of weekend warriors trying to spin off the lifestyle and be bad boyz. As with any copycat you have to one-up the original so now you have these dumbsh*ts with six inch long open pipes pissing everyone off all decked out in "the uniform" riding around down town or the beach or wherever the action is. It doesn't matter if the bikes obnoxious because they don't spend much time on them anyway, it's all smoke and mirrors.
Thanks for the post (all of it, not just the bit quoted). Now that is the sort of insight (and entertainment) that I just joined this forum for. I wouldn't exactly know the pseudo-HD psychology myself but your post has the ring of truth to it - most plausible. Certainly I've seen the real thing in my travels and what you say seems to hold up.

Personally I don't mind a fairly loud pipe (up to a point) if the duration is reasonably brief, but I understand that others do and it's a reasonable request not to get your ears blasted unnecessarily.

Where I work (La Jolla, CA) we have to stop meetings sometimes to let the FA-18's (in 2's or 3's usually) make their overflight from MCAS Miramar at about 1000-1500 feet. Now that's a complete show-stopper, what a marvelous racket! ..... Here in these parts we call it "The Sound of Freedom". Pity there isn't an equivalent phrase to validate motorcycle exhaust.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:16 AM   #19
MOKE1K
Registered Member

So I'm guessing this is out of the question?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #20
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
So I'm guessing this is out of the question?

needs a spark arrester