Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 05-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Polaris to shut down Wisconsin plant

Original Article:
Polaris to shut down Wisconsin plant

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Polaris to shut down Wisconsin plant in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Splendid, another American company ****ing it's workers to save a buck. I hope your new Mexican adventures give you what you deserve...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
12er
Founding Member

What you don't like the free market?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Wasn't this NAFTA BS supposed to have a "good" side for the United States?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Simple economics are at play here. Unions and pensions are killing profits. Unions won't budge on their side so it's easier to shut down and move. If Polaris can make the same units in Mexico, ship them faster and increase revenue then more power to them. For those WI employees- Rosetta Stone and the ability to move are your friend. They will me managers & supervisors there. Cost of living is cheaper, too.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post

No as a matter of fact I don't. IMO International trade only works with a level playing field, the much trotted out "rising tide lifts all boats" argument actually more often exhibits the inverse, IE "a lowering tide lowers all boats"

But hey who am I to complain, we'll all be equal soon enough, just like China: every one has a bowl and a spoon...maybe a cup if you're lucky.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Some say Mexico is on the verge of another bloody revolution, which is odd, considering that most of the populace is only concerned with getting through another day intact and well fed. When the commies tried to incite a "workers revolution" in the late 40's, they were dumbfounded by the average Mexican's lack of interest in anything political, and the communist went back to the Soviet Union with their hammer and sickle tucked between their legs.

I wish Polaris lots of luck with their investment in a country so corrupt, it makes Paraguay look like a bastion of honesty.

And like our last big investment in setting up manufacturing facilities off-shore in a third world environment (Brazil) let's hope Mexico doesn't flip Polaris the bird, and nationalize the facilities.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
The problem with the "free market" is that it levels the playing field. What's wrong with that? Basically, I don't want to have to compete with a Mexican or Chinese worker who lives in a hovel, eats 800 calories a day, and dies of job-related chemical poisoning at 45.

Instead, we need to re-develop American manufacturing capacity, and be willing to pay a slightly higher price for products in order to preserve our higher standard of living. Let the Chinese and Mexicans come to us, we don't need to sink to their level.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Some say Mexico is on the verge of another bloody revolution, which is odd, considering that most of the populace is only concerned with getting through another day intact and well fed. When the commies tried to incite a "workers revolution" in the late 40's, they were dumbfounded by the average Mexican's lack of interest in anything political, and the communist went back to the Soviet Union with their hammer and sickle tucked between their legs.

I wish Polaris lots of luck with their investment in a country so corrupt, it makes Paraguay look like a bastion of honesty.

And like our last big investment in setting up manufacturing facilities off-shore in a third world environment (Brazil) let's hope Mexico doesn't flip Polaris the bird, and nationalize the facilities.
Corrupt, perhaps, but Mexico is already home to production facilities for probably more automotive OEMs than not. I hate outsourcing American jobs, but this move makes financial sense.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
V2Rider
Premium Member

Ross Perot was a bit on the weird side but he called this one dead on. Pass NAFTA and all you'll hear is a giant sucking sound of jobs being lost to Mexico.