Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
aer0usa
Founding Member

Cause or effect? Either way, nothing good can come of this.
aer0usa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
12er
Founding Member

Some good news today, Tesla and Toyota teamed up to open Nummi plant again. As GM sent their interests to Mexico. Granted it will probably reopen very limited and non union but at this point we'll take what we can get.

I love throwing "the free market" out there. Free to screw you anyway it can. We'll see how the new bill goes...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
all you'll hear is a giant sucking sound of jobs being lost to Mexico.
Oh man, I forgot all about the Giant Sucking Sound! He was great...really a hoot during that election. I loved those charts and graphs and stuff. Then the final Farewell Dance with "Crazy" for the theme song. Kenneth's Mom voted for him. I think I voted for Clinton, but maybe not...I was drunk a lot back then.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
acecycleins
Founding Member

Ken- Unions are the root of this issue. It's easy to pin it on them- really. The cost of unionized workers doesn't create a revenue stream that allows for re-investment. American's are cheap b@stards and don't want to spend $20k on bikes or any toys for that matter. So, Polaris made the right call. If you want American's building American thngs then remove unions from the equation. If employers are allowed to hire and fire based on performance rather than a union vote manufacturers could make more money to hire or re-invest. Pension plans and demands that change every three years strangle profits. Mexico was a good choice in this instance.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Ken- Unions are the root of this issue. It's easy to pin it on them- really. The cost of unionized workers doesn't create a revenue stream that allows for re-investment. American's are cheap b@stards and don't want to spend $20k on bikes or any toys for that matter. So, Polaris made the right call. If you want American's building American thngs then remove unions from the equation. If employers are allowed to hire and fire based on performance rather than a union vote manufacturers could make more money to hire or re-invest. Pension plans and demands that change every three years strangle profits. Mexico was a good choice in this instance.
Oh really? I heard that a major foreign automaker decided to open their plant in Canada because the cost of health care benefits in the US made us non-competitive.

Have their been union abuses? Certainly. But saying "it's all the unions fault" is flat wrong. I'd say it has more to do with boardroom bonuses than it does with a guy working in a plant getting a pension.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Oh crap. A fat bald guy just burst in the house and wheeled all my beer away on a hand truck. Said something about me not deserving the great taste...
Old 05-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Oh crap. A fat bald guy just burst in the house and wheeled all my beer away on a hand truck. Said something about me not deserving the great taste...

Oh was that your house? shoot we were looking for BEN Moore's place...........

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
bmwclay
Founding Member

Well, cross (Roads) another former American built bike off my list. Also, cross off the Chinese-made Triumph and BMW motorcycles. Same goes to Buck knifes and Levi jeans. Seems like money is more important than national pride.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Hardly anything is US made anymore, I now work for a hardware distributor and there isn't even an attainable US made drywall screw. My company will buy US if the option is available and even pay up to 15% more for it, beyond that margin, our customers arent willing to pay the extra cash & we lose business.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #20
Paoli
Registered Member

As long as we all keep buying stuff made in other countries, things in North America will go further down the tube!
When a country imports more than it exports, that country will come to a stand still and will go kaput.
That's what's gonna happen to Canada and the US.
We go down the drain.

There's one solution: stop buying Chinese Crap.
But that's easy talk. I see high unionized wages earners shopping at Walmart in order to save a buck, but they wreck the country.
Paoli is offline   Reply With Quote