Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 05-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2011 Triumph Sprint GT announced

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/2011-triumph-sprint-gt-announced-89549.html">2011 Triumph Sprint GT announced</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Triumph Sprint GT announced in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Good cameraman, Triumph uses - he managed to time the shot to get the bike at a 45-degree-angle after they pushed it over, and before it hit the floor!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Good on Triumph not joining the Borg Collective and instead keeping the bike on the light side compared to the 600+ lb pigs.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
bmwclay
Founding Member

Default Triumph GT

Looks a lot like my old 96 Trophy 900 (gasp). The obvious competition will be the FJR at roughly the same (or lower) price. I hope the new Triumph will be worth giving up 20-25 horsepower over the Yamaha.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Liking More

I am liking Triumph More and More. This might be the touring ticket I have been looking for.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Not to pick nits, guys, but you edited out a teeny detail.

The Sprint ST has been around since 1999. The 1050cc engine was introduced in the '05 model year.

Clay, even with the added wheelbase of this new 'GT,' it is still a bunch smaller than the FJR. If you do an A-B ride comparison (with the older ST), there is very little in common between the two.

I'm hoping they added some grunt to the springs...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwclay View Post
Looks a lot like my old 96 Trophy 900 (gasp). The obvious competition will be the FJR at roughly the same (or lower) price. I hope the new Triumph will be worth giving up 20-25 horsepower over the Yamaha.
The question should be, "Is twenty more HP worth adding 50 pounds?"

Last edited by seruzawa : 05-17-2010 at 01:50 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Hmmm. Doesn't look to different than the existing ST. Why not just upgrade the ST and call it an upgraded ST? I also wonder how this bike would stack up against the new Ducati Multi 1200 in the sport touring venue.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
sliphorn
Registered Member

Smile

Dr Sprocket, I have an '06 Sprint ST and just last week rode the new Ducati Multi 1200. Entirely different bikes. I didn't particularly care for the new Multi, especially the stupid center stand that interferes so much with the back of your left foot that you can't even put the ball of your foot on the peg.

The new Sprint GT has addressed all of the complaints the 05+ ST owners have voiced over the years. I truly hope the new reflector headlights are better than the projector headlights I have. I'm not too keen on the 60.5" wheelbase and the extra 60 pounds, but I'll reserve final judgement until I can take one for a thorough test ride.

This leaves a nice space open in the Triumph line up for a litre class sport bike. I see good things happening at Triumph.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I also wonder how this bike would stack up against the new Ducati Multi 1200 in the sport touring venue.
By the specifications: not at all. The Multi has 30% more power, adjustable electronic suspension linked to the fuel control system for multiple riding modes, and a 90 degree twin versus a bizzare triple cylinder engine layout. Not that there's anything wrong with a triple, it's just weird.