Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 05-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Should ABS be required on all motorcycles?

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/should-abs-be-required-on-all-motorcycles-89548.html">Should ABS be required on all motorcycles?</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Should ABS be required on all motorcycles? in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well I don't know about "ALL" motorcycles but the system on Harley and Triumph at least are a real bonus

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I think that not only should the Gov. Mandate ABS, but Traction Control, Stability-Control, 8 or 10 Airbags, Collision-Avoidance Control, All Wheel Drive, 6-Way Power Heated/Cooled Bucket Seats, a Leather-Wrapped Steering-Wheel, 1500-Watt, 12-disc, 7-Speaker-surround DVD/CD/MP3-Changer with GPS-Nav and 17" TFT active-matrix full-colour screen, Outriggers to prevent them things from fallin' over, and a nice, sturdy Cage to wrap-around the package.

They should also incorporate a Breathalyzer Ignition Interlock to prevent DUI's, Throttle-Feedback Control to prevent you from accelerating too rapidly (wasting our Precious Resources!), and a Speed Monitoring System to allow no more than 5mph above the Posted Limit.

Them MurderSickles is Dangerous, Yo. We gotta Fix that.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 05-14-2010 at 01:07 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
dankatz
Registered Member

While I wish more bikes were available with ABS and I would be happy to pay $700-1000 mor for it, until I see the study I would assume it is flawed. There is ascertainment bias in that motorcyclists who are likely to purchase motorcycles with ABS (read more expensive, european usually, and not super sport) are most likely, older and probably ride in a more mild manner. Being 37, having two young children I am more likely to bre the "slow" rider
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I think that not only should the Gov. Mandate ABS, but Traction Control, Stability-Control, 8 or 10 Airbags, Collision-Avoidance Control, All Wheel Drive, 6-Way Power Heated/Cooled Bucket Seats, a Leather-Wrapped Steering-Wheel, 1500-Watt, 12-disc, 7-Speaker-surround DVD/CD/MP3-Changer with GPS-Nav and 17" TFT active-matrix full-colour screen, Outriggers to prevent them things from fallin' over, and a nice, sturdy Cage to wrap-around the package.

They should also incorporate a Breathalyzer Ignition Interlock to prevent DUI's, Throttle-Feedback Control to prevent you from accelerating too rapidly (wasting our Precious Resources!), and a Speed Monitoring System to allow no more than 5mph above the Posted Limit.

Them MurderSickles is Dangerous, Yo. We gotta Fix that.
Yo dog. You be safe. You be feelin' good. Nanny-Daddy be 'tectin' yo @ss. Next be 4stroke chainsaws 'n weedwackers.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Yo dog. You be safe. You be feelin' good. Nanny-Daddy be 'tectin' yo @ss. Next be 4stroke chainsaws 'n weedwackers.

Silly Rabbit, you mean 'lectric chainsaws and weedwackers, all powered by your trusty and oh-so green four stroke Honda generator....

Old 05-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

I think that ABS would be something someone would want especially in wet areas. The bonus would be that stuntaz couldn't do stoppies any more. I think that benefit outweighs all other considerations. And since I want it, it should be law and forced on every one.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Think of the Children!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
I think that ABS would be something someone would want especially in wet areas. The bonus would be that stuntaz couldn't do stoppies any more. I think that benefit outweighs all other considerations. And since I want it, it should be law and forced on every one.

ABS really is a bonus in the rain on bikes as well as cages, I've more than my share of seat clenching moments commuting with traffic going from 60 to 0 for no apparent reason. I consider myself fairly proficient at maximum braking and wet riding but it takes an awful lot of concentration to keep it just before the point of lock-up, with ABS working you can look for exits to steer through and having the wheels still turning allows you to steer through a situation. I certainly wouldn't buy a new bike or car without ABS.

For those who say they can stop quicker on dry roads, well maybe you can...... on wet roads I don't believe it, not in a car and not on a bike. One argument that always gets trotted out is that ABS causes them to loose skills or some thing which is not true, the only time it comes into effect is during max braking. Under normal riding circumstances it would never even com into play, you can still trail brake, you can still square corners and choose lines, whatever you normally do. ABS comes into to play during those "oh sh*t" moments where you simply have to drop the anchor and pray. If you're running into those situations on a daily basis then ABS is not the cause of your problems.....

Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
bbtowns
Founding Member

"According to Honda, its combined ABS system provides 2.3 times the deceleration of conventional brakes when using only the brake pedal. " How exactly is that relevant? The rear pedal on a non-linked braking system provides from 15-30% of the total braking, no experienced rider only uses only the pedal. Additional efficacy makes sense since it's reasonably easy to lock up the rear wheel with a ham footed application. And a study that factors in rider miles is necessary to make the study worthwhile. While I beleive that ABS is safer in inclement weather, a quick study of the parking lot shows that the high mileage bikes here don't have it, whereas the 2 BMW riders ride to work (with ABS) a couple of times a year and get a few thousand miles annually. Not scientific, but just pointing out why mileage is a necessary component of the study. And I agree with the AMA's legislative position, miracles never cease.