Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Electric bikes dominate MiniMoto race

Original Article:
Electric bikes dominate MiniMoto race

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Electric bikes dominate MiniMoto race in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Anyone who understands the torque characteristics of electric motors can see their advantages. The problem is that the gasoline powered vehicles run all day while the electric ones are charging. Still a way to go before these replace gas bikes unless one is wealthy enough to own several extra batteries.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
cenesdelavega
Registered Member

Default Are gas bikes dead for racing?

Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of gas bikes were these? Are other bikes faster on a small indoor track?

I have a Zero MX, and know it is fast, but exactly how fast?

In other words, why would a racer continue riding gas bikes if the electrics are faster on a certain track?
cenesdelavega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Gas bikes vs e-bikes: Top end speed goes to the Gas. Grunt goes to the e-. As for faster: I think that there's a huge difference in a mini-track vs a Supercross track. Allow this race to take place on a supercross track under "main event" lap totals and your gas bikes will win.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

It also doesn't hurt that there was a talented field riding e-bikes, including World MX champ Seb Tortelli. Also, the gas-powered minibikes had lots of restrictions, including the stock carbs.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
cenesdelavega
Registered Member

Wasn't there talent on the gas side as well? Quote:

"Keep in mind the electric bikes have their work cut out for them. Defending GEICO MMSX 16-inch class champion Burnworth is the undisputed veteran King of American mini bike racing lore, "

What does the "lot of restrictions" mean to the rest of us who aren't into the world of MX racing? (I believe the electrics were all "stock" as well BTW ).

How do these 150s stack up to other 150s and other classes in performance? - Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
It also doesn't hurt that there was a talented field riding e-bikes, including World MX champ Seb Tortelli. Also, the gas-powered minibikes had lots of restrictions, including the stock carbs.
Oh, so there was "no deck stacking allowed" in this race.

Not.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Oh, so there was "no deck stacking allowed" in this race.

Not.
Makes the whole thing a bit of a joke, doesn't it?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

Actually, I think it's an interesting step in electric bike development. Things will develop, and get better, or not. I'd still like to have a cheap one to bop around the backyard.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
cenesdelavega
Registered Member

Default Next - 250cc?

"Interesting step" - could be historic as you look back. For instance the big electric GP bikes are still way behind their gas brethren, but in the MX world, at least some gas bikes are now obsolete on some tracks. (150cc 4 stroke on short tracks). Zero has a new motor (the Agni) in their road bikes that is a lot stronger than the Perm motor currently used in their MX - could be trouble for the next class (250cc 4 stroke)? When will the madness end?