Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Electric bikes dominate MiniMoto race (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/15246-electric-bikes-dominate-minimoto-race.html)

Administrator 05-12-2010 01:05 PM

Electric bikes dominate MiniMoto race

Original Article:
Electric bikes dominate MiniMoto race

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Electric bikes dominate MiniMoto race in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 05-12-2010 01:46 PM

Anyone who understands the torque characteristics of electric motors can see their advantages. The problem is that the gasoline powered vehicles run all day while the electric ones are charging. Still a way to go before these replace gas bikes unless one is wealthy enough to own several extra batteries.

cenesdelavega 05-13-2010 06:18 AM

Are gas bikes dead for racing?

Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of gas bikes were these? Are other bikes faster on a small indoor track?

I have a Zero MX, and know it is fast, but exactly how fast?

In other words, why would a racer continue riding gas bikes if the electrics are faster on a certain track?

acecycleins 05-13-2010 08:58 AM

Gas bikes vs e-bikes: Top end speed goes to the Gas. Grunt goes to the e-. As for faster: I think that there's a huge difference in a mini-track vs a Supercross track. Allow this race to take place on a supercross track under "main event" lap totals and your gas bikes will win.

Kevin_Duke 05-13-2010 09:11 AM

It also doesn't hurt that there was a talented field riding e-bikes, including World MX champ Seb Tortelli. Also, the gas-powered minibikes had lots of restrictions, including the stock carbs.

cenesdelavega 05-13-2010 10:38 AM

Wasn't there talent on the gas side as well? Quote:

"Keep in mind the electric bikes have their work cut out for them. Defending GEICO MMSX 16-inch class champion Burnworth is the undisputed veteran King of American mini bike racing lore, "

What does the "lot of restrictions" mean to the rest of us who aren't into the world of MX racing? (I believe the electrics were all "stock" as well BTW ).

How do these 150s stack up to other 150s and other classes in performance? - Sorry for my ignorance.

The_AirHawk 05-13-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 241622)
It also doesn't hurt that there was a talented field riding e-bikes, including World MX champ Seb Tortelli. Also, the gas-powered minibikes had lots of restrictions, including the stock carbs.

Oh, so there was "no deck stacking allowed" in this race.

Not.

seruzawa 05-13-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 241630)
Oh, so there was "no deck stacking allowed" in this race.

Not.

Makes the whole thing a bit of a joke, doesn't it?

pplassm 05-17-2010 11:08 AM

Actually, I think it's an interesting step in electric bike development. Things will develop, and get better, or not. I'd still like to have a cheap one to bop around the backyard.

cenesdelavega 05-18-2010 10:47 PM

Next - 250cc?

"Interesting step" - could be historic as you look back. For instance the big electric GP bikes are still way behind their gas brethren, but in the MX world, at least some gas bikes are now obsolete on some tracks. (150cc 4 stroke on short tracks). Zero has a new motor (the Agni) in their road bikes that is a lot stronger than the Perm motor currently used in their MX - could be trouble for the next class (250cc 4 stroke)? When will the madness end?