Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 04-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Aprilia Shiver 750 updated for 2010

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/aprilia-shiver-750-updated-for-2010-89471.html">Aprilia Shiver 750 updated for 2010</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Aprilia Shiver 750 updated for 2010 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
The rear wheel is also a half inch thinner at 5.5 inches while it uses the same 180/55 tire, a change Aprilia says improves handling and increases turn speed.
What?! Are the Aprilia Engineers Bloody INSANE!!!!!? Motorcyclists will Die in Droves! Too-small of a rim, a 180 has been carefully Engineered for a 6" Rim! Flaming Death! Dire Consequences! The guys on MO said so! FLAMING DEATH!!!!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
What?! Are the Aprilia Engineers Bloody INSANE!!!!!? Motorcyclists will Die in Droves! Too-small of a rim, a 180 has been carefully Engineered for a 6" Rim! Flaming Death! Dire Consequences! The guys on MO said so! FLAMING DEATH!!!!
Sure it's going to turn faster. You can tell by the picture the the bike's about to fall over already.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Who said so? 180 rear tires have been fitted to millions of 5.5-inch-wide wheels?
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Who said so? 180 rear tires have been fitted to millions of 5.5-inch-wide wheels?
Duke needs lessons in Sarcasm-Recognition!

I was referring to an earlier thread about someone putting a larger tire on a rim that was hard to find the stock size, and the sounds of Impending Doom and protests of Engineering Faux Pas many here were making about it. In this case, Aprilia's putting a smaller rim inside the same tire.

I can only assume that, because the guy who was asking about it hasn't posted-up with the results, he must have died in a fiery crash 2-miles down the road from the tire shop............
Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:

I was referring to an earlier thread about someone putting a larger tire on a rim that was hard to find the stock size, and the sounds of Impending Doom and protests of Engineering Faux Pas many here were making about it. In this case, Aprilia's putting a smaller rim inside the same tire.

I can only assume that, because the guy who was asking about it hasn't posted-up with the results, he must have died in a fiery crash 2-miles down the road from the tire shop............
It'll be interesting to see if other manufacturers follow suit. I can't believe that Aprilia figured out something that hundreds (if not thousands) of MC engineers hadn't already figured out. I'm a skeptic. I believe the engineers know what works best. My guess: Aprilia estimated saving one hundred million dollars (well... not really that much, but $$ nonetheless) by using a narrower rim.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Flaming Death! Catastrophe! Flaming Death and all that!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
It'll be interesting to see if other manufacturers follow suit. I can't believe that Aprilia figured out something that hundreds (if not thousands) of MC engineers hadn't already figured out. I'm a skeptic. I believe the engineers know what works best. My guess: Aprilia estimated saving one hundred million dollars (well... not really that much, but $$ nonetheless) by using a narrower rim.
Aprilia isn't doing anything new by fitting a 180 tire to a 5.5-inch rim. Putting a 180 on a 6-inch rim is weird, as a 6-incher is usually fitted with 190 tire. A narrower wheel will be lighter than a fatter one, so there was no point in adding weight (and a little bit more cost by the use of more metal) with the fatter rim. The Shiver doesn't have enough power to require a 190, and a bike always steers quicker with a 180 compared to a 190.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:

Ah, yes, sarcasm. I'm not so good at it. Please always use a winkie face!
Old 04-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Aprilia isn't doing anything new by fitting a 180 tire to a 5.5-inch rim. Putting a 180 on a 6-inch rim is weird, as a 6-incher is usually fitted with 190 tire. A narrower wheel will be lighter than a fatter one, so there was no point in adding weight (and a little bit more cost by the use of more metal) with the fatter rim. The Shiver doesn't have enough power to require a 190, and a bike always steers quicker with a 180 compared to a 190.
If my memory serves me correctly, the original thread (argument) was about putting a 140 or 150 series tire on a 130 series rim and whether it was "safe" or not. Some were in favor and some were against it.

Of course, I am getting older, so...