Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   KTM Freeride electric prototypes unveiled (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/14805-ktm-freeride-electric-prototypes-unveiled.html)

Administrator 03-25-2010 09:13 AM

KTM Freeride electric prototypes unveiled

Original Article:
KTM Freeride electric prototypes unveiled

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article KTM Freeride electric prototypes unveiled in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

acecycleins 03-25-2010 10:31 AM

Get one Duke! Who's got the mx chops in this house? Like to see if we have a mx e-future. Screw those land robbing wankers. E-power to the rescue!

pplassm 03-25-2010 12:26 PM

Well, at least this LOOKS like a dirt bike.

Hopefully, my local dealer will have a test bike shortly.

Kevin_Duke 03-25-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 237958)
Get one Duke! Who's got the mx chops in this house? Like to see if we have a mx e-future. Screw those land robbing wankers. E-power to the rescue!

E-power may indeed be the savior of the off-road market. These KTMs look really cool, and I can't wait to find out how well they work.

skreemer01 03-26-2010 09:07 AM

I like the idea and applaud the effort but really a bike you can use for 500 hours and then you need to replace the "motor", well battery anyway.

According to the article on a full charge you can use the bike for "mixed riding" for one hour. Then it takes an hour and a half to charge and you only get 500 charges out of the battery. If you rode for 24hours a day that's only 20.8 days riding time. Are the 500 chagres 500 full charges? does a partial charge count against one of the 500?

When was the last time you hit the trails and rode a half hour out and a half hour back? Then you need to wait an hour and a half before you can rinde for the next hour. Can it be charged from a 12volt power source such as a car or truck? How much longer would it take to charge from the 12 volt power source?

How much are the batteries? Can they be reconditioned? Are they toxic and need special handling and disposal for an extra cost?

Kevin_Duke 03-26-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skreemer01 (Post 238089)
I like the idea and applaud the effort but really a bike you can use for 500 hours and then you need to replace the "motor", well battery anyway.

According to the article on a full charge you can use the bike for "mixed riding" for one hour. Then it takes an hour and a half to charge and you only get 500 charges out of the battery. If you rode for 24hours a day that's only 20.8 days riding time. Are the 500 chagres 500 full charges? does a partial charge count against one of the 500?

When was the last time you hit the trails and rode a half hour out and a half hour back? Then you need to wait an hour and a half before you can rinde for the next hour. Can it be charged from a 12volt power source such as a car or truck? How much longer would it take to charge from the 12 volt power source?

How much are the batteries? Can they be reconditioned? Are they toxic and need special handling and disposal for an extra cost?

Since the bikes aren't production ready, many of your questions remain to be answered. The only feasible way to do a day of riding would be to have a spare battery pack or two. Naturally, these wouldn't be bikes to explore far-flung adventure-type trails. Instead, I envision off-road parks near urban centers where these quiet machines could be ridden.

A Star Ride 03-26-2010 09:27 AM

I would love a silent bike, but dont do off road. Nice to see the technology is developing though, but 1 hour & have to park at a power source for 90 minutes sounds only good for farm use.

The_AirHawk 03-26-2010 09:30 AM

To answer Skreemer: There are only so-many charge-cycles in every battery. That's whether or not it's a "full" or "partial" charge. The estimate for this one seems to be 500 - it might quit holding a charge at 425, or it might go to 675. It all depends on how fully you charge it each time, and how deeply you discharge it.

acecycleins 03-26-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 238092)
Since the bikes aren't production ready, many of your questions remain to be answered. The only feasible way to do a day of riding would be to have a spare battery pack or two. Naturally, these wouldn't be bikes to explore far-flung adventure-type trails. Instead, I envision off-road parks near urban centers where these quiet machines could be ridden.

I certainly can see a mx/sm/kart track set up. About 5 acres for easy parking. Compact supercross track with sm/road course cross over. Slap a construction trailer on the site for an office and you're in business. An old industrial site near a railroad gultch somewhere around Marrietta Blvd and Marrietta St in NW Atlanta down the road from the Swee****er Brewery. That's the ticket.

The_AirHawk 03-26-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 238096)
I certainly can see a mx/sm/kart track set up. About 5 acres for easy parking. Compact supercross track with sm/road course cross over. Slap a construction trailer on the site for an office and you're in business. An old industrial site near a railroad gultch somewhere around Marrietta Blvd and Marrietta St in NW Atlanta down the road from the Swee****er Brewery. That's the ticket.

What's a Swee tw@tter?