Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   Motorcycle News (
-   -   MotoGP goes HD for 2010 (

Administrator 03-24-2010 10:19 AM

MotoGP goes HD for 2010

Original Article:
<a href="">MotoGP goes HD for 2010</a>

Please discuss the article MotoGP goes HD for 2010 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

MOKE1K 03-24-2010 10:30 AM

Oh great, Harley makes cameras,... hehehehehe

schizuki 03-24-2010 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 237833)
Oh great, Harley makes cameras,... hehehehehe

They're not bad stock, but most owners swap out the aperture for a larger one. It makes the picture too bright and makes a godawful BRUMBRUMBRUMBRUM!!! racket.

I asked a cameraman in a khaki photog's vest with "Born to Snap to Crop Dilligaf" on the back about it, and he just said, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." Then he asked me if I knew what the color of the bandanna hanging from his chaps meant. His smile creeped me out, so I backed away.

schizuki 03-24-2010 11:14 AM

One thing I've noticed about many European TV shows is that the colors are washed out. MotoGP and WSB races all look like they're taking place on cloudy days. Nobody's ever been able to explain that to me. So will the new HD cameras fix that?

sarnali2 03-24-2010 11:47 AM

They won't use the HD cameras on cloudy days, they only use them when it's sunny and 75 out and then it's only to film the beer garden

longride 03-24-2010 12:14 PM

If HD made a camera, would you fly in it?

schizuki 03-24-2010 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by longride (Post 237851)
If HD made a camera, would you fly in it?

Sooner than I'd fly in a Boeing. I hear a faulty cupholder brought down a 707.

Dr_Sprocket 03-24-2010 05:39 PM

Hallelujah!! It's about time. Now, if only the AMA would get on the HD train...

bigjames 03-26-2010 12:46 PM

Oh, High Def...
I thought they were going to an all Harley format for a minute...

bigjames 03-26-2010 12:51 PM

On the crappy European video, they still generally use PAL and not NTSC (the old pre HD standard). Pal is 24 frames per seconds (oddly enough the same as our eyes), NTSC is 32 fps (quicker than our eyes so no flicker or jerky motion). The conversion can cause darkening and color issues if not done VERY carefully. When live, nothing is done carefully... HD is the same everywhere, so it should help with the picture, but nothing, and I mean nothing will help with Euro and Asian directors and producers penchant for not following the real race and keep watching the local heros...