Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2010 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight unveiled (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14184)

Kenneth_Moore 06-21-2010 09:25 AM

just cuz we bez compleate ediyots it don't mean them honders is any bedder then GODS OWN MOTERSIKKLE, the HAWLY DAVIDSUN!!!

But seriously, any company producing over a quarter-million vehicles a year is going to have the occasional lemon. Most people find modern HDs to be extremely reliable and low-maintenance.

Google "Honda Motorcycle Quality Problems" sometime. You'll find thousands of links from people experiencing everything from premature corrosion to factory recalls for cracked frames. Here's one on Hondas that burn excessive oil:
2008 CBR1000RR Burning Oil Rumor : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

Buy the bike you like, nobody's forcing HD on you.

seruzawa 06-21-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalbleib (Post 244132)
nice try. i've ridden 70+ thousand miles on jap and ITALIAN bikes and the only thing that's ever broken down over the years were 2 buells. i dumped an electra glide on blue ridge pkwy because of it's retarded pulsing front brake. my stepdad has had a springer (bought new) for a year now but only in his garage for 2 months. the rest of the time its been at the shop while the mechanics try and figure out why it keeps burning off so much oil. last answer, "well it's probably just gonna do that". my mom bought an anniversary edition sportster a few years back for 12k, rode it, didn't like it, tried to sell it for almost a year and finally traded it in on their clunker springer. dealership gave her 6k for it! of course when no one esle will give u sh_t for it... maybe thats a good deal. rode a vrod night, dark special, muscle, blah blah blah - harley's most refined "sport" cruiser last year... yuck. other than some tourque... nothing to write home about. not sure why i'm wasting my time really, anyone who tries to say a harley is more relable that a honda has to be a complete idiot.

Er, yes, of course dumping an Electra-Glide would be the fault of the brakes. Of course. Couldn't be the fool newbie pilot who thinks 70K miles is an accomplishment.

shalbleib 06-21-2010 10:03 AM

indeed it was. they pulse, let go, pulse let go, u never knew when the thing was going to actually stop. tell me another bike by any manufacturer that does that. and oh i'm sorry let me say 10s of thousands of miles, does that sound better? you obviously know everything and are superior to everyone else. tell u what, u bring your hawg and make your rules. i'll outride u in mileage speed, road course, whatever u like. ride what u want and quit being defensive! all i originally said was that if a failing company wants to help themselves, then when they create a bare bike, price it as such. i didn't say u were a moron if u rode a harley, but if u want to throw stones... i'm sure my stones are bigger than yours. you are the one that had to have the harley remember? obviously filling the void in the crotch area. do you have a ford f350 too? LMAO

shalbleib 06-21-2010 10:04 AM

Harley Motorcycle Quality Problems - Google Search

seruzawa 06-21-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalbleib (Post 244137)
indeed it was. they pulse, let go, pulse let go, u never knew when the thing was going to actually stop. tell me another bike by any manufacturer that does that. and oh i'm sorry let me say 10s of thousands of miles, does that sound better? you obviously know everything and are superior to everyone else. tell u what, u bring your hawg and make your rules. i'll outride u in mileage speed, road course, whatever u like. ride what u want and quit being defensive! all i originally said was that if a failing company wants to help themselves, then when they create a bare bike, price it as such. i didn't say u were a moron if u rode a harley, but if u want to throw stones... i'm sure my stones are bigger than yours. you are the one that had to have the harley remember? obviously filling the void in the crotch area. do you have a ford f350 too? LMAO

Classic case of projection. Missing your meds?

Kenneth_Moore 06-21-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalbleib (Post 244137)
you obviously know everything and are superior to everyone else.

i'm sure my stones are bigger than yours. you are the one that had to have the harley remember?

obviously filling the void in the crotch area. do you have a ford f350 too? LMAO

Wow, you sure showed up with a chip on your shoulder. Seru was actually being pretty mild in his comments. Why get all hostile over a ****ing motorcycle brand? If you like Honda, enjoy. As far as I know, nobody is shoving HD on you.

The_AirHawk 06-21-2010 10:18 AM

Sounds like another Seattle IP Address...........

Kevin_Duke 06-21-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjn (Post 232845)

The 48 is a great looking bike, but I don't care for Sportsters with a.shortened suspension, and b.forward controls, since both contribute to scraping hard parts in a shower of sparks when cornering. I'll stick with my 2008 XL883 with the full length shocks and forks, and the standard controls. But like the Nightster and the Iron, I'm sure HD will sell a bunch of these.I prefer my Sportsters to be able to go into a corner at least a little bit hot without having to worry about solid steel parts touching down. I haven't scraped anything yet on my '06.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
2006 HD XL883
2007 Yamaha XT225 dual sport
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic

I'm glad to hear a Harley owner say that decent cornering clearance is an issue for them. H-D reps say that its owners don't complain about it, as noted in our recent Shadow RS vs H-D 883L shootout: http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...low-89646.html

acecycleins 06-21-2010 01:51 PM

Shalbleib, you and Seru can take it to the street. Name me 5 bikes that meet the same aspects of the 48 that aren't at or under $11k and you may have a case. Fact is, there are not any 1200cc or more bikes that come close to fit, finish, reliability, or MPG. Name me 5 bikes that will hold their re-sale value after 5 years like a Harley in the same aspect as above. There are NONE. When you have nearly $10k 600cc sportbikes and your average bigg cc asian cuiser goes for $13k I believe your arguement is weak at best. The price point for the 48 is dead on.
As for your other rediculous statements. PLEASE!! Only an insecure person boast about his ability to "out" do anybody at this site. Most of us have been riding for decades. Your 70k mileage referrence is peanuts compared to most of us. In 27yrs I've recorded HUNDREDS of thousands of miles. A feeble attempt to look like you actually know what you are doing or saying shows you "can't bolt on skill" - thank Moke for that one.

Now run along to the kiddie table. You're getting in the way of adult conversation.

sarnali2 06-21-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalbleib (Post 244138)

Don't worry, Japanese bikes were built to keep gentlemen like you off Harleys, no need to trouble yourself any further.