Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 01-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #31
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
I realise how the wheelie control system works, it is a limiter no matter what technical term they want to use. It states that the bike in slick mode will only allow wheelies up to 5sec. That would seem intrusive even though the ABS is completely turned off in this mode.

I guess to be openminded I would have to ride it and find a setting I liked. Sound's like you'll need the reaction time of a computer to ride without the TC, ABS. Guess Iam somewhat trained to hate electronics. I have never even tried the Suzuki's mode switch but maybe once, and hated it.

I have always embraced and passed on the theory of "if you can't handle the power stay off of it"! And for the last 5yrs of selling motorcycle's and 10yrs before that wrenching, I'v alway's directed new riders away from bikes they didn't have enough experience with.

Albeit having these electronics equipted on the bike is great if the rider is inexperienced. But is that the best way to save the rider from him/herself? I like the old fashion way personally grow out of it instead of trying to growing into it. But what do I know, Let us know when you get to ride it Kevin if you havent already. Thanks!
I point out the wheelie situation because it is different than that used in MotoGP and WSB, as they incorporate gyros as inputs.

Without TC and ABS (or with them turned off), the S1000 doesn't require any different riding than a CBR or Gixxer. If you don't want rider aids, you don't have to have them.

I'm glad you didn't want to sell a literbike to a newbie, but there are countless dealers who only cared about the money and sold whatever anyone wanted, regardless of their skill. Go to a bike night and watch all the paddling going on.

Rider aids aren't the solution to unskilled riders. Personally, I supported a tiered licensing system. But we don't live in France or England or countless other countries that have tiered licenses, so there will be newbs in America -home of the free - who will buy bikes that have capabilities far above their own.

And shame on you for not reading my S1000 article!

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-22-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #32
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Whoops! My mistake - it was from mem'ry here - CANbus is ISO 11898-1.
Well...we'll have no more of that for the rest of the semester, Mr. Hawk. Return to your seat, please.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Well...we'll have no more of that for the rest of the semester, Mr. Hawk. Return to your seat, please.
Whatever you want to call it it still shuts off the fuel pump.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #34
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Well, in my defense - I've been working with MicroMotion Coriolis-effect flowmeters lately, and have RS485 on the brain.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #35
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Well, in my defense - I've been working with MicroMotion Coriolis-effect flowmeters lately, and have RS485 on the brain.
Haven't we all...
Old 01-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #36
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Iam down w/teired Licensing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I point out the wheelie situation because it is different than that used in MotoGP and WSB, as they incorporate gyros as inputs.

Without TC and ABS (or with them turned off), the S1000 doesn't require any different riding than a CBR or Gixxer. If you don't want rider aids, you don't have to have them.

I'm glad you didn't want to sell a literbike to a newbie, but there are countless dealers who only cared about the money and sold whatever anyone wanted, regardless of their skill. Go to a bike night and watch all the paddling going on.

Rider aids aren't the solution to unskilled riders. Personally, I supported a tiered licensing system. But we don't live in France or England or countless other countries that have tiered licenses, so there will be newbs in America -home of the free - who will buy bikes that have capabilities far above their own.

And shame on you for not reading my S1000 article!
Sorry about not reading the article, my subscription is much more mobile. Yeah so the RRW article stated that even trackday junkies should leave the bike in sport mode at best. This made me wonder what that 193hp feels like and how much harder it is to handle even in sport mode. Sounds violent.

Your statement about newbies being sold liter bikes is strange, although I realise it's a common occurance in the United States.

When I sold I tried to educate the customer even when that customer wasn't mine(which is a big no-no). After awhile the normal consensus at our shop was " Dude were not selling you a liter bike, sit down let me explain some things to you,...yada yada yada. Not that talking a new rider down to a 600 is all that much better, but at least we scared em some.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #37
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
This made me wonder what that 193hp feels like and how much harder it is to handle even in sport mode. Sounds violent.
it's actually very tractable, not violent. It would be a manageable bike even without TC and its various modes. That said, I like being able to utilize its various modes, especially for the street.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #38
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
it's actually very tractable, not violent. It would be a manageable bike even without TC and its various modes. That said, I like being able to utilize its various modes, especially for the street.
Guess I just don't trust the electronics yet. I think people miss out on quite alot when they rely on them.
Remind's me of when I used to ride in the rain up in the valleys of Manoa in Hawaii. I would purposely go when it rained so I could practice being as smooth as possibly. Seems these days all you have to do is push a button.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Guess I just don't trust the electronics yet. I think people miss out on quite alot when they rely on them.
Remind's me of when I used to ride in the rain up in the valleys of Manoa in Hawaii. I would purposely go when it rained so I could practice being as smooth as possibly. Seems these days all you have to do is push a button.
I maintain that before long you will just stay home and send the bike itself on errands.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #40
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I maintain that before long you will just stay home and send the bike itself on errands.
Luddite! I can assure you that a ride on the S1000RR won't make you feel like you're mailing it in.

Longtime enthusiasts of most anything often decry progress. When things change, they no longer fit the paradigm of what we've grown comfortable living in. And when new technology is implemented, it often doesn't yet live up to its full potential. But whether you like it or not, technology will continue to advance and be implemented.

Although I consider myself somewhat of a purist and have been skeptical of any sort of rider aid, I recommend embracing technology.
- Fuel injection, now that it's been refined, is a boon for performance and convenience.
- Switchable engine mapping - when done right (sorry, Suzuki) - gives you a choice of responsiveness depending on riding conditions and your mood.
- And traction control - when given a choice of levels and the option to turn it off - is a security blanket that may not be necessary but can also be appreciated.
- Same for performance-oriented ABS systems like on this new Beemer and those on Honda's CBRs.

I don't mind the elimination of a choke lever, and I certainly enjoy 600cc engines with more horsepower than a GS1100.