Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 12-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #31
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I was an active participant in the Eaglemark Bank fiasco. In 03/04 I was selling bikes for Rossmeyer both on the sales floor and via the Internet. I think it's hard to realize now just how desperately people wanted a Harley. And I think the Beenie Baby analogy is valid, the same MUST HAVE IT AT ANY COST hormonal rage applied (people paid hundreds of dollars for those things, and were happy to do it).

Eaglemark had few rules: you had to have owned a home for 5 years, or you had to be at your job for 2 years. If you didn't owe child support or have an active IRS tax lien, you were good to go. The rates were really high, 21% was the low end, they maxed at 33%, but people still bought. You had to have 10% down, but even that was easily skirted by bringing in an old frame and title. We'd value it up and then add that on the back end. There was a lot of creative paperwork done too; single income families suddenly became 2 income families...job letters were...well, you get the idea.

I remember a grown man crying in the middle of a busy sales floor when I couldn't get him financed. He'd been there all day, he'd gone from an Ultra to a Dyna to a Sportster, the F&I lady did every trick she could think of, he couldn't get financed. A few days later he showed up with cash; he'd closed his 401K and taken the IRS hit, pawned a coin collection, etc. to raise the $14k OTD price we were charging for a Sportster Custom. When he rode away, he was the happiest guy in Fort Lauderdale.
interesting to hear from the inside I wonder if he dumped it would he get the 14K he paid or the 10K they shoulda sold it to him for? But with those loose lending criteria, if you dont qualify your lucky to have food on the table, and at those rates anyone would be a fool to borrow

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
he was raped hog tied, no lube no reach arround raped
14K for a sportster = rape
cashing out 401K for any motorcycle = stupidity
Rape is when you are forced. I doubt that you would blink at selling some guy your current bike for $25K if some nut ran up with the cash and begged you to sell it to him. no one forced these clowns to give HD dealers thousands over MSRP. Just like no one forced people to give more than MSRP for new Thunderbirds or Priusii.

No one forced any of these people. They weren't raped. They were idiots.

There are 300 million people in the USA. You'll never have a problem finding idiots galore on a daily basis.

Rape is when you buy something and later find hidden costs that the seller withheld from you. Like not mentioning to BMW buyers that the factory service will cost over a grand each and lying to them and telling them that they will lose their warranties if they don't have their service done at a certified BMW dealer. That's rape.

Last edited by seruzawa : 12-03-2009 at 11:37 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
interesting to hear from the inside I wonder if he dumped it would he get the 14K he paid or the 10K they shoulda sold it to him for? But with those loose lending criteria, if you dont qualify your lucky to have food on the table, and at those rates anyone would be a fool to borrow
He would get whatever the insurance value is for the bike according to his policy. This would be book value for the bike plus whatever extra coverage he bought for accessories, etc, no matter what he gave the dealer.

Happens all the time. Talk to any car owner who had a new car stolen.

Last edited by seruzawa : 12-04-2009 at 06:52 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #34
A Star Ride
Registered Member

APOLOGY

remove rape replace with "took advantage"
sorry for the bad choice of language

Last edited by A Star Ride : 12-03-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: added to origional message
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
he was raped hog tied, no lube no reach arround raped
14K for a sportster = rape
cashing out 401K for any motorcycle = stupidity
Really? I guess you hold yourself up as the ultimate smartest motorcycle rider? Is that what you are implying?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"And how does one make sure the laws are followed? "

Simply by having available legal representation at work and the bagaining table, which Unions provide. That's how. That way, the company can't pull any crap in negotiations or in the day to day operations. Of course, I have heard management howl like stuck pigs when our lawyers would show up during negotiations. How unfair we were! If you are a normal employee and find them violating laws, what exactly are you going to do about it? You going to use YOUR money to fight it?

Last edited by longride : 12-04-2009 at 07:26 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #37
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Really? I guess you hold yourself up as the ultimate smartest motorcycle rider? Is that what you are implying?
this has nothing to do with riding skills these are financial decisions and common sence
you seem as bitter as I would be if I owed over MSRP dont blame me for it
Old 12-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #38
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
this has nothing to do with riding skills these are financial decisions and common sence
you seem as bitter as I would be if I owed over MSRP dont blame me for it
I won't blame you. Your Harley envy is obvious. Of course, if I bought a wanna-be-a-Harley, I'd be envious too.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #39
A Star Ride
Registered Member

listen I could buy anything I want and wouldt have to finance it to do it, I have a 798 credit score and 18K in my account right now and contribute $200/week to my 401K and Im under 40 Sorry I dont desire YOUR bike more then MY retirement. you probably think Im wasting money saving for retirement instead of being part of what you think is an elite group?
Ill guess the window of your car/truck has stickers to let everyone know you own a harley if they cant see it printed n your arm when they pass if they gave a damn? but its worth another $20 of your cash to let others know you do have one people like you and your attitude of entitlement and oozing ego give the motorcycle community a bad name, so slam a 12 pack put that potato chip on your head & tear down the road allowing them pipes to save you
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #40
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"listen I could buy anything I want and wouldt have to finance it to do it,"

That's what you should have done then instead of calling everyone else 'raped' and 'stupid'. Two kinds of stupid: The one that you think is stupid by buying what he REALLY wants, and the one that buys something becuase it was cheap.