Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Erik Buell starting new racing company (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/13758-erik-buell-starting-new-racing-company.html)

Administrator 11-23-2009 07:50 AM

Erik Buell starting new racing company

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/erik-buell-starting-new-racing-company-88975.html">Erik Buell starting new racing company</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Erik Buell starting new racing company in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The_AirHawk 11-23-2009 08:54 AM

Well, this seems to be unfolding better than one might have wished.

Erik, Goodonya for keeping at it. I don't race - but I am enough of an enthusiast to be happy you're able to do this.

An Uly WAS almost-certainly going to be my next new bike - but not for another year or so. Now never, it seems.

Guess it'll have to be my next used moto...........

Kenneth_Moore 11-23-2009 09:33 AM

Eric,

One thing: please don't go blubbering across the internet like a rejected teenager if you get dumped again.

Thank you,
The World.

Kenneth_Moore 11-23-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 228661)

An Uly WAS almost-certainly going to be my next new bike - but not for another year or so. Now never, it seems.

Guess it'll have to be my next used moto...........

But, but, WHY? I could see an XR type, or a Street Tracker, or even an old-school hardtail with mile long forks and a stupid rake angle. But putting that lump in a dual-sport just never made sense to me.

The_AirHawk 11-23-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 228665)
But, but, WHY? I could see an XR type, or a Street Tracker, or even an old-school hardtail with mile long forks and a stupid rake angle. But putting that lump in a dual-sport just never made sense to me.

But the bike gives me a Chubby.

acecycleins 11-23-2009 11:14 AM

Opening a race shop for a decommissioned brand does not seem like good business management.

seruzawa 11-23-2009 11:42 AM

Maybe this is just an interim action. According to the financial data Buell was making a profit for HD. Someone else could still buy it.

Buzglyd 11-23-2009 12:17 PM

Maybe he's gonna keep racing 'till the money runs out.

mscuddy 11-23-2009 06:48 PM

Ah the poor bastard was getting all choked up. I wish him the best.

I guess along with Buell, the ATK based entry level bike is history too. Nothing like a sportster for a first bike. Keeps the hospitals in fiberglass & plaster.

Miss my City-X. It was neat-o.

pplassm 11-24-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 228692)
I guess along with Buell, the ATK based entry level bike is history too.

So, this is BS, then?

EICMA: ATK Partners With Hyosung, Plans to Enter Street Market - Dealernews

seruzawa 11-24-2009 11:36 AM

So, HD drops Buell which was making them money and instead intends to repeat the Baja series debacle of the 70s. Kewl.

Kenneth_Moore 11-24-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 228719)
So, HD drops Buell which was making them money and instead intends to repeat the Baja series debacle of the 70s. Kewl.

Was Buell profitable? I know these corporate guys are pretty demanding on the ROI/EPS, but dumping a profitable division....hmm.

seruzawa 11-24-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 228720)
Was Buell profitable? I know these corporate guys are pretty demanding on the ROI/EPS, but dumping a profitable division....hmm.

It's virtually impossible to be certain because HD won't say much, but indications are that Buell was doing okay. HD likely cut it as the usual corporate decision that will protect the company's stock value. Buell was a very tiny section of HD.

It won't be hard to guess how well Chinese made small displacement bikes will sell at the same dealers who don't even like to "waste" time selling Sportsters, refused to carry Buell or when they did carry Buell didn't try to sell them.

The_AirHawk 11-24-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 228718)

Wife just asked "What does 'ATK' stand for? - 'America Turns Korean'?"

seruzawa 11-24-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 228732)
Wife just asked "What does 'ATK' stand for? - 'America Turns Korean'?"

Just tell her to thank the alphabet labyrinth of govt agencies, each demanding a cut of the action. Tell her to thank the lawyers who sue companies decades after the fact for mistakes that no one knew were wrong at the time. Thank all those who suck off the govt teat and who can't hold real jobs. Thank the union guys who believe that an 80IQ moron deserves a 6 figure income. Thank the incompetent fat cats who get bailed out by our incompetent politicians. Yes there are a lot of people to thank for the loss of US Manufacturing to overseas interests.

Kenneth_Moore 11-25-2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 228748)
Just tell her to thank the alphabet labyrinth of govt agencies, each demanding a cut of the action. Tell her to thank the lawyers who sue companies decades after the fact for mistakes that no one knew were wrong at the time. Thank all those who suck off the govt teat and who can't hold real jobs. Thank the union guys who believe that an 80IQ moron deserves a 6 figure income. Thank the incompetent fat cats who get bailed out by our incompetent politicians. Yes there are a lot of people to thank for the loss of US Manufacturing to overseas interests.

Yeah, those corporate fat-cats who make millions in stock options by closing US plants and shipping jobs to Mexico had nothing to do with all this. It's all the fault of the stupid American citizens and the lawyers... I can't believe you actually fall for this crap. The dismantling of American industry and our economy has been lead by a group of Wall Street criminals, who go into perfectly good companies and gut them by taking out all the equity as bonuses and fees. The same guys who make a few million when they drop the unit cost of a widget by a few pennies when they pay some overseas laborer a wage nobody should ever have to live on.

Do you know what country is the world's leading exporter? The same country that treats their workers as valuable assets and not a commodity to be used like toilet paper and flushed down the tube? The country that is environmentally focused almost to a fault? The country that has free health care, 2+ months of paid vacation, free education, etc. etc. It's Germany. How do they manage to do that and we can't?

longride 11-25-2009 05:42 AM

"Yeah, those corporate fat-cats who make millions in stock options by closing US plants and shipping jobs to Mexico had nothing to do with all this."

What was the last product you bought that was made in the US? Case closed.

"... I can't believe you actually fall for this crap."

That quote from a guy that took the Global Warmin....err Climate Change crap hook, line and sinker.

seruzawa 11-25-2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 228770)
Yeah, those corporate fat-cats who make millions in stock options by closing US plants and shipping jobs to Mexico had nothing to do with all this. It's all the fault of the stupid American citizens and the lawyers... I can't believe you actually fall for this crap. The dismantling of American industry and our economy has been lead by a group of Wall Street criminals, who go into perfectly good companies and gut them by taking out all the equity as bonuses and fees. The same guys who make a few million when they drop the unit cost of a widget by a few pennies when they pay some overseas laborer a wage nobody should ever have to live on.

Do you know what country is the world's leading exporter? The same country that treats their workers as valuable assets and not a commodity to be used like toilet paper and flushed down the tube? The country that is environmentally focused almost to a fault? The country that has free health care, 2+ months of paid vacation, free education, etc. etc. It's Germany. How do they manage to do that and we can't?

I included the fat cats. Missed that, eh?

I don't know if you are aware of this but there is no such thing as free education or free healthcare.

seruzawa 11-25-2009 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 228771)
"Yeah, those corporate fat-cats who make millions in stock options by closing US plants and shipping jobs to Mexico had nothing to do with all this."

That quote from a guy that took the Global Warmin....err Climate Change crap hook, line and sinker.

I think he missed the part about the German steel workers protesting the loss of jobs to India a few weeks back. Looks like the wheels are coming off the European Looter State as well.

Did you know that in order to become a German citizen you have to prove German ethnic heritage? Germany.... as rascist as Japan.

Kenneth_Moore 11-25-2009 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 228772)
I included the fat cats. Missed that, eh?

I don't know if you are aware of this but there is no such thing as free education or free healthcare.

I didn't miss it, but you seem to put the bulk of the blame on American workers, and I don't think that's right. The vast majority of US workers are dedicated, hard-working people who do a damn good job when they're given the opportunity. There may be a small percentage of lazy union people who make a ridiculous salary, but most of the union workers I've encountered are skilled people who do quality work. The average US citizen is not to blame for the dismantling of our industrial base.

You're right, nothing is free. I should have said "government funded" or "tax-funded" healthcare and education available to all.

Kenneth_Moore 11-25-2009 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 228771)

The last time you said that I asked you to show me one post where I said Global Warming was real. And you found a quote where I said I didn't know the answer. Want to try again?

seruzawa 11-25-2009 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 228774)
I didn't miss it, but you seem to put the bulk of the blame on American workers, and I don't think that's right. The vast majority of US workers are dedicated, hard-working people who do a damn good job when they're given the opportunity. There may be a small percentage of lazy union people who make a ridiculous salary, but most of the union workers I've encountered are skilled people who do quality work. The average US citizen is not to blame for the dismantling of our industrial base.

You're right, nothing is free. I should have said "government funded" or "tax-funded" healthcare and education available to all.

No, I spread the blame all over. The workers elect the politicians. The politicians create the environment that makes business difficult. You should see what a small businessman has to deal with as far as govt paperwork goes. None of it has improved anything except the size and salaries of destructive govt bureaucracies. And yes, the voters are responsible for every bit of it. They could toss out these two corrupt gangs of criminals who are looting our country. But noooooo, they fall for ridiculous promises which have never been kept.

Once the public can be bribed with its own money the game is over. We now have more looters and moochers than producers in this country. They will vote us into bankruptcy.

This quote by Ayn Rand is timely: “When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion—when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing—when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors—when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you—when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice—you may know that your society is doomed.”

Kenneth_Moore 11-25-2009 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 228776)

Once the public can be bribed with its own money the game is over. We now have more looters and moochers than producers in this country. They will vote us into bankruptcy.

Te real "looters and moochers" are in the banks and Wall Street. The people on the public dole are a drop in the bucket compared to what they steal.

seruzawa 11-25-2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 228777)
Te real "looters and moochers" are in the banks and Wall Street. The people on the public dole are a drop in the bucket compared to what they steal.

Bullshyt. Those moochers on welfare add up real theft. Add the welfare moochers and the lazy worthless govt employees that run the bureaucracies and then add everyone else who thinks they deserve a govt check because they are breathing (all moochers, every one) and you have dwarfed the Wall St looting.

seruzawa 11-25-2009 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 228777)

P.S. Those huge stock bonus options that encourage executive looting are a result of the laws on executive compensation that the liberals passed. Consequences are a bytch, eh? Maybe more laws will fix it. Yeah. That's the ticket. Obama will get on that as he fixes Wall St. You know, the same Wall St that gave him hundreds of millions of dollars and now owns him and the Democrat Party.

Too rich. Too ironic. The Democrat Party, home of the Wall St fat cats. LOL!

mscuddy 11-25-2009 08:11 AM

Didja see who ownes Jaguar and Land Rover now? Tata, that East Indian auto maker.

Man, talk about irony.

Oh and 'bout ATK, Frank White sits on the board of directors at HD, and said no one who would purchase a Harley would buy an entry level one made in Asia, that's why it was SUPPOSED to be built in Utah from European sourced parts (Rotax motor, Ohlin shocks, Brembo brakes, etc..).

But I guess manufacturing costs, along with battling Union types who threatned to boycot ATK moved it to Korea. Rotsa ruck Harley.

Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat past mistakes. It's over USA. Read Will & Ariel Durrant's "Fall of the Roman Empire" for some good insight on what happened here. And no, there are no pictures in the book.

longride 11-25-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 228775)
The last time you said that I asked you to show me one post where I said Global Warming was real. And you found a quote where I said I didn't know the answer. Want to try again?

"I tend to believe scientists, and literally thousands of scientists around the world support the idea that man's activities are causing the planet to warm. A world-wide conspiracy to distort the truth makes no sense to me."

There ya go. Still looks like you believe it to me. I guess you didn't inhale though ,and didn't have sex with 'that woman' either, AGAIN. Nothing more ironic than a guy that rides a Japanese motorycle and drives a Japanese car crying about jobs going overseas. Sorry Global Warming Boy, next time you point a finger at the cause of job losses here, point it at the mirror.

testcase 11-26-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 228779)
P.S. Those huge stock bonus options that encourage executive looting are a result of the laws on executive compensation that the liberals passed. Consequences are a bytch, eh? Maybe more laws will fix it. Yeah. That's the ticket. Obama will get on that as he fixes Wall St. You know, the same Wall St that gave him hundreds of millions of dollars and now owns him and the entire American political system.

Fixed for truth.