Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Harley-Davidson shutting down Buell (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/13400-harley-davidson-shutting-down-buell.html)

ofreen 10-17-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 226306)
Well, if you buy that 1125, you and KPaul can go riding together, because he was a big supporter of that 'real motor' in the Buell. Give him a call when you get a chance.

As a super moderator, you might be a little nicer to a paying customer. Don't read into my comments a defense of whats-his-name, because I don't care for internet trolls any more than you do. I thought I'd add something first hand to this thread about the motorcycles under discussion, but if all you want to see is more kpaul bashing, I'll desist.

MOKE1K 10-17-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofreen (Post 226304)
So yet another thread degenerates into another kpaul gangbang. But it is OK because it is what the people want.

Not to ruin the fun, but I went down to the Harley shop to see what they were doing with the Buells. I was offered a ride on a 1125R, so took it out for about 30 miles. Around here all it takes is a mile to get out of town, so I got to have a little fun. I've ridden the sportster based Buells, but this is the first for the Rotax bike. There is no comparison. It is too easy to hit the rev limiter on the sportster bike, but no such worries on the 1125. I only got to 120, but bike was stable. A little heavier steering than I expected. Engine seemed similar to a liquid cooled Ducati, but it has been awhile since I've been on one of those. Still plenty of power, though. Still air above the windshield. Left mirror kept losing its adjustment at speed, but reflections were clear. Shift action not bad, engine vibration acceptable. Clutch engagement a little short, but easily adapted to. Didn't get to ride enough corners, but seemed stable, had to keep a little pressure on the bars to keep a line, so could be a little more neutral for my taste. Could be tire pressures were off from optimum. Front brake was a little squishy, but strong. Rear brake did nothing, like pushing on a piece of wood. Temperature was about 75, and there was a noticeable amount of heat coming off the bike. The frame sides got pretty warm to the touch. It looks like heat would be a problem on really hot days. The fan ran for about a minute after the bike was shut off. Switch gear was really too small for gloves.

Those are some quick impressions, but I enjoyed the ride. The price? $5995. That bike has a little over 1800 miles on it. They've got a new red one for not much more. I am tempted. I am impressed with it, a solid machine.

Does this surprise you?

You should see what a trackday is like on that monster.

pplassm 10-17-2009 07:13 PM

Wow. longride, what's with all the hate for the bike? It's just a chunk of metal, rubber and plastic.

I loved my Buell, I just couldn't bend my knees like that any more.

I really liked every Buell I've ridden. Have you ridden one?

Just asking.

ofreen 10-17-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 226316)
Does this surprise you?

You should see what a trackday is like on that monster.

I'd like to. What have you seen?

slednecks 10-17-2009 11:38 PM

Man that sucks . Especially after Buell won the Daytona Sportbike title in the AMA this year... anyone know who Eslick is going to ride for now?

longride 10-18-2009 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofreen (Post 226315)
As a super moderator, you might be a little nicer to a paying customer. Don't read into my comments a defense of whats-his-name, because I don't care for internet trolls any more than you do. I thought I'd add something first hand to this thread about the motorcycles under discussion, but if all you want to see is more kpaul bashing, I'll desist.

Well, you came in after a year bashing anyone that said anything about him, so I figured I'd keep bringing him up. If you weren't defending him, then what was it you were doing, ripping us? You said it was all our fault that he keeps showing up here, I might as well go all the way and bring him up every day.

longride 10-18-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 226317)
Wow. longride, what's with all the hate for the bike? It's just a chunk of metal, rubber and plastic.

I loved my Buell, I just couldn't bend my knees like that any more.

I really liked every Buell I've ridden. Have you ridden one?

Just asking.

First of all, I don't hate Buell in the least. I was being honest. I guess people can't figure that out sometimes. Something that struck me funny is that if I can't hate something that is only metal, rubber,and plastic, then how could you love somethig like that? Weird eh? I actually tested a Buell with MO years ago with Sean, Buz and Martin. It was a decent enough bike, but I never saw it as a world beater or anything. I'm not sure I would ever buy one, but I certainly have nothing against it. I do see why Harley dumped them though. Erik blew a wad on something that was never going to sell. I bet if he stuck with the air-cooled motor, he would still have a job. He gambled and lost. I don't need to ride an 1125 to know it is mediocre at best in the sportbike world where numbers rule that game. Is it a decent bike? Sure.

ofreen 10-18-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 226335)
Well, you came in after a year bashing anyone that said anything about him, so I figured I'd keep bringing him up. If you weren't defending him, then what was it you were doing, ripping us? You said it was all our fault that he keeps showing up here, I might as well go all the way and bring him up every day.

I apologize to anybody who thought I was bashing anybody with my comments. That was not my intent. My intent is to see the kpaul influence on the forums go away, as I believe it hurts forum participation.

Longride, please check your pm's.

ofreen 10-18-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 226336)
I don't need to ride an 1125 to know it is mediocre at best in the sportbike world where numbers rule that game. Is it a decent bike? Sure.

You need to ride one. I have now ridden Buells with both engines and can say they are nearly as different as night and day.

longride 10-18-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofreen (Post 226338)
You need to ride one. I have now ridden Buells with both engines and can say they are nearly as different as night and day.

I'm sure it is a nice enough bike when you compare it to the air-cooled Buell, but what about when you compare the Japanese and Italian, and British competition? I will try to ride one, but after owning a Hayabusa for 2 years, I'm not sure I will come away all that impressed. If I can get a ride on one, I will report what I think of it. Oh yeah, It's nice to have you back. Hang around and have some fun.