Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Harley-Davidson shutting down Buell (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/13400-harley-davidson-shutting-down-buell.html)

Aaron5001 10-20-2009 03:29 PM

Man! That is a shame indeed. I was quite looking forward to the new Buell models. What is left in the Harley Davidson dinosaurs. I think Harley Davidson made a mistake with this decision. The market is going to become more competitive not less. People who want to buy American but don't like the old technology, inefficient and heavy Harleys will look elsewhere. Buell was a breath of fresh air. I really thought Buell was Harley Davidson’s life boat, now they have lost that. Perhaps Buell can go it alone; maybe Erik Buell can do this now.
Aaron5001

longride 10-20-2009 04:40 PM

How many new Buells did you buy Aaron?

sarnali2 10-20-2009 06:22 PM

Since you asked........

I didn't buy the Buelly Uly because the Electraglide fitted my needs better
Same reason I didn't buy the K1300GT, R1250RT or VStrom. Actually the Vstrom is uglier than a bag of hammered ass-holes so I'd need one of those iridium visors to even ride it....

The rest of Buells line-up is just to cramped for my creaky bones, as are most other non Harley's these days..

longride 10-20-2009 06:39 PM

You are a Harley guy through and through Sarnali. You need an old Panhead to complete the package. Nothing less will do.

MOKE1K 10-20-2009 07:24 PM

I think their fun to ride, any twin engine sportbike can be fun. The shorter wheel base on the Harley makes for a quick-steer into corners and it wheelies or, stops on a dime. For me its a twin. Thats it. Buell, Suzuki every twin I'v rode I'v liked. To buy it though for me would be a differnt story all together. In compairison if your talking twins theirs alot more proven product out their with alot more parts floating around used. One key ingredient when owning a sportbike imo, cheap-used-parts.

On cheap new bike note, had a customer come in today said Honda had mysteriously uncovered still in the crate 2007 VFR's and where selling them with a 1yr warranty for 7k. Translation: They ran the line at the factory too long and are still trying get ride of them-they've just lowered the price more.

MOKE1K 10-20-2009 07:32 PM

[quote=sarnali2;226552]Actually the Vstrom is uglier than a bag of hammered ass-holes so I'd need one of those iridium visors to even ride it....[quote]

You got that right.

pplassm 10-21-2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 226552)
Actually the Vstrom is uglier than a bag of hammered ass-holes so I'd need one of those iridium visors to even ride it....

Funny they seem to have quite a following. I'm told they work really well, despite the ugliness. :D

longride 10-21-2009 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 226564)
Funny they seem to have quite a following. I'm told they work really well, despite the ugliness. :D

Does the ugliness make it work better, or is it a byproduct of the enhanced functionality?

seruzawa 10-21-2009 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 226568)
Does the ugliness make it work better, or is it a byproduct of the enhanced functionality?

The two are unrelated. For example the BMW 1200C was a weak sister motorcycle but also was the ugliest motorcycle ever built.

Kenneth_Moore 10-21-2009 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 226564)

Only the 1000's work really well. The Wees are a great buy for the money, but motorcyclists in the know choose the DL1000 for an astoundingly capable mix of power, performance, comfort, and practicality. Ugly? Only puzzies and posers care about what any one thinks about their bike's appearance.