Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Honda introduces dual clutch gearbox (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/13104-honda-introduces-dual-clutch-gearbox.html)

Administrator 09-09-2009 11:07 AM

Honda introduces dual clutch gearbox

Original Article:
Honda introduces dual clutch gearbox

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Honda introduces dual clutch gearbox in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 09-09-2009 11:30 AM

Better plan on an $18K MSRP.

MOKE1K 09-09-2009 11:57 AM

Great,...

Automatic motorcycles, woopie!

pushrod 09-09-2009 12:03 PM

I reckon that'll be the sh*t on a trike.

You won't have to put down your drink to shift!

But seriously, it could be a boon to folks that lack function in their lower extremities.

Not THAT lower extremity, Ken!

Kenneth_Moore 09-09-2009 12:14 PM

What exactly is the problem Honda is trying to fix? Sure, people who are handicapped might use it, but that's some very small numbers. Yamaha's automatic FJ was a huge sales flop, even though everyone agreed the technology was excellent.

Is it some mysterious racing advantage? They mentioned F1 cars...maybe they'll be putting paddle shift levers on the handlebars?

Personally, I'd miss shifting with my "lower extremity." Chicks dig that.

acecycleins 09-09-2009 01:25 PM

CBR1000RRHFT- racing to a course near you in 2011.

seruzawa 09-09-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 223616)
What exactly is the problem Honda is trying to fix? Sure, people who are handicapped might use it, but that's some very small numbers. Yamaha's automatic FJ was a huge sales flop, even though everyone agreed the technology was excellent.

Is it some mysterious racing advantage? They mentioned F1 cars...maybe they'll be putting paddle shift levers on the handlebars?

Personally, I'd miss shifting with my "lower extremity." Chicks dig that.

Dunno Ken. Honda tried this at least twice before and both efforts passed gas. The CM400A and the CB750A both set a record for remaining static in showrooms. Somehow auto trannies aren't as wowie-zowie as 6 cylinder CBXs. But then, Soichiro is out and the car guys are in.

trenttheuncatchable 09-09-2009 01:54 PM

I got stuck on the expressway in stop-go traffic the morning after Labor Day (yesterday). Sure would have been nice to have an automatic transmission on my bike. Thoughts of being on a Mana came to mind. But the other 99.9 percent of the time I don't want it. Looking at alternate routes for that commute.

It would be nice to have a bike with a manual clutch (not just the shifter without the clutch) that also has an automatic option for rush hour traffic conditions.

The_AirHawk 09-09-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 223636)
I got stuck on the expressway in stop-go traffic the morning after Labor Day (yesterday). Sure would have been nice to have an automatic transmission on my bike. Thoughts of being on a Mana came to mind. But the other 99.9 percent of the time I don't want it. Looking at alternate routes for that commute.

It would be nice to have a bike with a manual clutch (not just the shifter without the clutch) that also has an automatic option for rush hour traffic conditions.

Better would be to Lobby your State Rep. to pass a law allowing "Lane Sharing" for Motorcycles, with SEVERE penalties to cagers that attempt "retaliation" on a Motorcyclist that utilizes that priviledge.

trenttheuncatchable 09-09-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 223652)
Better would be to Lobby your State Rep. to pass a law allowing "Lane Sharing" for Motorcycles, with SEVERE penalties to cagers that attempt "retaliation" on a Motorcyclist that utilizes that priviledge.

As far as I know,that's only not-illegal in California. I don't think there's much luck getting that type of law passed anywhere else in the U.S. I saw another motorcycle pass by riding on the shoulder past all the other traffic waiting to get onto the onramp/transition; he got away with it, but I don't like taking chances (of getting a ticket) like that.