Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 08-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
robret
Registered Member

excellent! you probably know your history better than i do.
i recall a certain individual staying in sanfrancisco, who took a bet for $50.00 saying he could cross the united states in an automotive. that person set off on his journey in a convertible.
he had to wait sometimes, days for a stage coach to come through to bring him his spare parts, tires, ect.
when certain car manufactures caught wind of what he was up to and the publicity it was drawing, and the fact he might pull it off. they all wanted to finance him.
being the way men were back then he said no thanks, and carried on his merry way all the time writing his wife keeping her informed of his where abouts.
he succeeded.
tesla, the electric car manufacturer who has recently been selected to help bail out a certain car manufacturer. already claims that battery technology is evolving at an astonishing rate. that a 500 mile battery is well with in their reach. heck even general electric is getting into the game. those boys play for keeps
do we sit and wait at the gas station for the oil company to drill for the oil, then refine it, then pour it in your tank,.
does america even sit and wait for her own oil to come out of the ground, all the while importing someone else's. no
so why would they expect you to sit and wait for your battery to get charged.
half your bike is electronic already. fuel, spark, throttle,now brakes. scott russell rode josh hayes yamaha he said it was a cadillac. even though he was 8 seconds off the pace it was the nicest bike he rode.
i am a 2-stroke fan look how she is but a distant memory now.
first the horse, then the steam engine, now its time for the combustion engine. gentlemen it smells like inevitability.
robret is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #22
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robret View Post
i am a 2-stroke fan look how she is but a distant memory now.
first the horse, then the steam engine, now its time for the combustion engine. gentlemen it smells like inevitability.

Yes it's more than likely inevitable, but not for several years at the soonest. So why buy a POS electric bike that will not even get me to work and home on a single charge?

When I can recharge a bike/car/whatever as fast as I can refuel one and when they have the range of an internal combustion I'll buy one. Of course the electric bike would have to be affordable, not like this crapper you posted here.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Ok not to take you mind of arguing... so is this an electric bicycle or what? I mean law wise. i know in my and lot of states that 50cc and lower scooters are "bicycles" for most intents and purposes, so what is this thing? would i buy one? probably not but it brings up some interesting ideas...
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #24
robret
Registered Member

first of all i didn't post this bike.
i know at work when something electric needs a charge, they just change the battery out. for a fresh one sounds like a full service station again.
i also believe you are not committed to this one type of battery. you can upgrade as better ones come up.
i actually want to see how the chevy volt will do for sales. i hope its a success.
personally. i don't want to get stuck using public transit.
right now i drive a rig for a living. it gets about 6 mpg. it costs about $600.00 bucks to fill er up. mercedes trucks has got the same idea as chevy. a little gas pot with a big ass electric that will get over 60 mpg in a rig!
i hear you about this bike. you should check out you tube there are some backyard mechanics playing around with some aprillia rs 125 type of bikes with electric motors. everyone knows you don't need rpm to make torque with an electric it can do it from 0 rpm.
we got a guy here in vancouver b.c. he can dial that motor up enough to make you pass out while accelerating, but where's the fun in that. cheers
Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #25
SmokeU
Registered Member

I doubt the Volt will sell much. At $40K+ it's just too expensive to have an impact on anything.

The battery swapping is an interesting idea. I wonder if one could do a motorcycle hybrid like the Volt.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

As time passes electric cars will become better. And for urban dwellers they may soon become a viable alternative if the battery storage can be improved drastically. I'm afraid that for those of us who live in areas that are more spread out electric cars will be rare indeed. The problem I see is that the people making policy all live in crowded urban environments. In the West (except for LA, Frisco, etc) there's not enough population density to support all the "solutions" (buses, light rail, etc) that the green idiots would like to mandate. I do need to be able to drive 300 miles, gas up and go again. Electric cars, even the most rosy predictions of these cars' capabilities, are wholly inadequate.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #27
robret
Registered Member

Smile Ok not to take you mind of arguing... so is this an electric bicycle or what? I mean

[i]its interesting you bring this point up. here in b.c., electric bicycles and scooters require no licensing or drivers license to operate on public roads. the wearing of helmets though is mandatory.
maybe that is why this seems so appealing to me. the cost of fuel, insurance, the man.
i was told by a good friend to retreat to my room with a ps3 and a good round of online wsbk racing.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 AM   #28
pplassm
Founding Member

Here in VA, it's a moped (no license, registration, or insurance required), until you go faster than 35 MPH. Then it's a motorcycle, and must be registered as one.