Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Buell 1125RR in AMA American Superbike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/12544-buell-1125rr-ama-american-superbike.html)

Administrator 07-15-2009 02:00 PM

Buell 1125RR in AMA American Superbike

Original Article:
Buell 1125RR in AMA American Superbike

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Buell 1125RR in AMA American Superbike in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Dr_Sprocket 07-15-2009 02:26 PM

It'll be interesting to see how this bike measures up to the other open class bikes. No more complaining about a 500cc displacement advantage, folks.

The_AirHawk 07-15-2009 06:09 PM

As I recall, Buell had been talking about how the bike was NOT built for Racing.............

mugwump58 07-15-2009 07:09 PM

My impressions after seeing it race was " ya know that might make a nice street bike".

MOKE1K 07-16-2009 06:32 AM

Buell 1125RR: Not Road Legal, Yet Superbike Legal
by staff SUPERBIKEPLANET

Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Here is the press release from Buell regarding their 1125RR, (note second R in designation) a bike not road legal, yet somehow Superbike legal, as per DMG. Isn't it interesting how the Japanese manufacturers are knocked back to Superstock spec this season in Superbike, yet Buell gets to enter a full-on Superbike that isn't even street legal?

As is becoming characteristic with Buell they just can't bear to merely bring a gun to a gunfight, it's always gotta be a Gatling gun (of their own design) to a fist-fight.

Buell Press Release Start:

(July 15) Buell Motorcycle Company today introduced the 1125RR, a race-use only motorcycle intended for competition in the AMA Pro Racing American Superbike class.

"The 1125RR is designed to give privateer racers a turn-key machine to compete in the American Superbike class in AMA Pro Racing. We want to build on our program that has proven so successful for privateers in the Daytona SportBike class," said Erik Buell, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer, Buell Motorcycle Company.

The Buell 1125RR features a modified Helicon 1125cc (103mm bore x 67.5mm stroke) liquid-cooled 72-degree V-Twin engine. Power increases come from components including a larger airbox and intake manifold, revised valves and camshafts, a higher compression ratio, titanium exhaust system and other weight-reduced components.

The 1125RR chassis is the standard 1125R design with fuel-in-the-frame, plus a billet axle adjustment system and chain-drive to allow gearing changes. Suspension travel is managed by fully adjustable units, with a Showa 43mm front fork and a remote-reservoir rear shock. A ZTL2 (Zero Torsional Load) eight-piston front caliper is mated with a modified front rotor.

Buell 1125RR features:
? 1125cc (68.7 cid) Helicon Powertrain:
o 4.055 inch (103 mm) bore and 2.658 inch (67.5mm) stroke
? Dual 61mm down-draft fuel-injection throttle bodies
? Titanium exhaust header and mass-centralized muffler
? 6-Spoke cast magnesium racing wheels
o Front: 3.5 inch (88.9mm) x 17 inch (431.8mm)
o Rear: 6 inch (152.4mm) x 17 inch (431.8mm)
? Buell ZTL2 reversed rotor front brake with eight-piston Nissin caliper
? 43mm Showa fully-adjustable inverted forks
? Showa fully-adjustable rear shock with remote reservoir
? Cast-aluminum swingarm machined with billet axle adjustment system
? Center position wheelbase 55.5 inches (1410 mm)

Buell will produce a limited number of 1125RR motorcycles for sale only to licensed professional road racers who will compete in the AMA Pro Racing American Superbike class. U.S. MSRP is $39,995. Orders must be placed through the Buell Race Department and delivered through an authorized Buell motorcycle dealer.

MOKE1K 07-16-2009 06:52 AM

As is becoming characteristic with Buell they just can't bear to merely bring a gun to a gunfight, it's always gotta be a Gatling gun (of their own design) to a fist-fight.

TYPICAL!

pushrod 07-16-2009 07:28 AM

From appearances, they're not bringing Gatling Guns, thy're bringing grenades...

seruzawa 07-16-2009 07:42 AM

Dang. The Japanophiles just can't wait to start whining about Buell. There's nothing to worry about. It it does well enough to threaten the guaranteed championships that the Big4 have been buying from the AMA the rules will be changed to cook the series in favor of the Big4. Just like they already did in Supersport.

MOKE1K 07-16-2009 07:52 AM

by dean adams
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything about racing. And that I am assuredly by no means the brightest bulb in the light fixture.

That said, even my frozen solid Minnesota brain finds a slight disconnect between DMG/AMA Pro Racing's rule book, and the Buell 1125RR being legal for the American Superbike class.

This from page ten (20 in the rulebook) of 59 in the AMA Pro Racing 2009 rules, under the heading of Homologation: American Superbike motorcycles must be street certified in the US and available through US retail dealers.

Then, Buell PR on the Buell 1125RR:

Buell Motorcycle Company today introduced the 1125RR, a race-use only motorcycle intended for competition in the AMA Pro Racing American Superbike class.

This is from the version of the rulebook that I just downloaded in PDF form on the DMG/AMA Pro Racing web site. You can view a copy by clicking here.

And, from the DMG AMA Pro Racing application form required to enter a bike in the American Superbike class: (download)

AMA Pro American Superbike motorcycles must be street certified for use in the United States and be available at the time of competition from U.S. retail dealers. There must be sufficient quantity available such that any person wanting to buy one for racing purposes can do so in a timely fashion. ... Importation must be completed by June 1st of the current season.

Also from that application: Also, it is requested, but not required, that each manufacturer has available one additional street version of the homologated model for display and marketing purposes at each event.

And ...The motorcycle must be a 4-stroke production model with street-use certification in the United States.

Ducati USA's PR man, John Canton, confirmed, for those wondering, that the Ducati 1098R, which is the base for Larry Pegram's Superbike, and is on DMG/AMA's list of approved motorcycles, is street legal from the factory and comes with, you know, headlights and stuff.

They should be whining. Course the Buell will still probably get beat anyway.

seruzawa 07-16-2009 08:29 AM

Yeah, well the Buell met all the criteria for Supersport before the season started and when it posted a win the rules got changed real quick. So as I said there's no worry. Your favorite Japanese company will get the win they paid for during the off season.

I'd love to check some off-shore accounts.