Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 06-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Buell to supply pace bikes for AMA

Original Article:
Buell to supply pace bikes for AMA

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Buell to supply pace bikes for AMA in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

Cool, a red flag before the race starts when a pace bike goes down... The Alfa's for WSBK almost went off the track a couple of times burning around Miller.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

I would just like to say that rolling starts are a joke, absolute JOKE! Part of roadracing is knowing how to launch your bike better than anyone else. Coming from the middle of the pack brought excitement.
You'll never see that again thanks to the major improvments the DMG has made. Sad stuff. Now this, what a joke!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
I would just like to say that rolling starts are a joke, absolute JOKE! Part of roadracing is knowing how to launch your bike better than anyone else. Coming from the middle of the pack brought excitement.
You'll never see that again thanks to the major improvments the DMG has made. Sad stuff. Now this, what a joke!
I think part of drag racing is launching your bike better than anyone else.

Most auto racing series use rolling starts. These bikes aren't designed for standing start launches so why do it?

A mid-pack guy can't qualify near the front going around the track but he can have an advantage if he's a good drag racer?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post

Most auto racing series use rolling starts. These bikes aren't designed for standing start launches so why do it?

A mid-pack guy can't qualify near the front going around the track but he can have an advantage if he's a good drag racer?
I think they should go back to the old GP style where the riders had to run across the track and start the bikes up on their own.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Agreed Buz. Fact is the gearing in 1st is so tall that you're ringing the living hell out of the motor and trashing your clutch. These ain't 120hp bikes anymore. At near 200 hp in AMA and near 210-215 in WSBK they just can't keep trashing the bike just for the launch.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Gawd, how did AMA ever manage before the "Pace Bike"?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I think they should go back to the old GP style where the riders had to run across the track and start the bikes up on their own.
How funny would that be this day and age?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post

Corrrect, in drag racing the whole idea for a good run is a great launch. In roadracing its even more crucial. This is not auto racing!!! Stop compairing the two. Under the right circumstances YES someone who can launch their bike better, deffinatly has an advantage, havent you ever heard of "shutting the door"? You do watch car racing I assume? Its called blocking I think.

Motorcycles have traditionally always had standing starts or even races that required the rider running to the bike and then proceed to push start it. There are many examples in M/C racing where riders have come all the way from the back of the grid. One that stands out is Mid Ohio when S.Ru$$ell got penalized and had to start from the back of te pack. By the end of the race he took 2nd to D.Chandler.

Taking this simple trat away from the sport is damaging imo. It takes away the excitment when everyone leaves the line as fast as possible. Never mind the strangle hold the front qualifiers will always have, limiting the privateers chances, and isnt that what DMG is their for to make improvments so that everyone chances are alot more equal?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

These bikes aren't designed for standing start launches so why do it?

I had to put this one alone, just so I can say,.....

WHAT? YOUR KIDDING RIGHT? If they are not designed for this, then how come Iv been doing it for so long on so many different makes and models? I mean sure it does shorten the life of the bike, but so does racing itself? Do not ignore the R&D implications here. This is what racing is for to develop stronger parts. "Arent designed for"...what planet are you people from? This is probly one of the most entertaining features that are built into a motorcycle. The ability to leave the line before ANY car, even on a small bike. Man do you guys have any fun on your bikes or what???

Last edited by MOKE1K : 06-03-2009 at 08:09 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote