Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default 2 Killed at Barber Racetrack

Updated: Friday, 22 May 2009, 4:14 PM CDT
Published : Friday, 22 May 2009, 12:51 PM CDT

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - A motorcycle rider and an on-track worker were killed Friday morning in a crash at the Barber Motorsports park.

According to Birmingham Police, several riders were running a test for a motorcycle race when one of the riders hit an employee on the track.

The on-track worker had reportedly went onto the track to remove a dead bird when he was hit.

The identities of the two victims have not yet been released.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
dennisfallen
Registered Member

Location: peoples republic of cork(ireland,turn right at newfoundland)

That's very sad news.
Just a suggestion,would it be a good idea do you think,to "soften"the thread title ?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisfallen View Post
That's very sad news.
Just a suggestion,would it be a good idea do you think,to "soften"the thread title ?
Yes, it is very sad. The incident cast a pall on the racing at Palm Beach Int'l Speedway this weekend; apparently many of the riders knew the people involved and had just been there for a different event.

I don't think the title is all that bad; besides I quoted another source, and it would be inappropriate to substantively change the content without editorial permission. It is what it is.

This reminds me of when a jelly company tried to improve their product brand identification. They'd been using the slogan: "Because with a name like Mangled Baby Squirrel Guts, it has to be good," but then decided to use their company founder's name instead. Sometimes change is good.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Mokester already posted this in his "RIP..." thread. Still, it's sad news, indeed.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
dennisfallen
Registered Member

Location: peoples republic of cork(ireland,turn right at newfoundland)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Yes, it is very sad. The incident cast a pall on the racing at Palm Beach Int'l Speedway this weekend; apparently many of the riders knew the people involved and had just been there for a different event.

I don't think the title is all that bad; besides I quoted another source, and it would be inappropriate to substantively change the content without editorial permission. It is what it is.

This reminds me of when a jelly company tried to improve their product brand identification. They'd been using the slogan: "Because with a name like Mangled Baby Squirrel Guts, it has to be good," but then decided to use their company founder's name instead. Sometimes change is good.
I hear what you're saying.Seeing as you're quoting from another source you obvoiusly had nothing to do with the title.My concern is that for a family member or relative/friend of the deceased persons to read ,it is a very"cold"way of reporting the sad incident.Oh well it's done now anyway.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisfallen View Post
I hear what you're saying.Seeing as you're quoting from another source you obvoiusly had nothing to do with the title.My concern is that for a family member or relative/friend of the deceased persons to read ,it is a very"cold"way of reporting the sad incident.Oh well it's done now anyway.

I prefer factual news/information rather than sugar coated. If it's cold it's cold but I'd rather have the truth outright.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
I prefer factual news/information rather than sugar coated. If it's cold it's cold but I'd rather have the truth outright.
What is so 'cold' about this? I don't get it. Two people got killed and it explained how they got killed. It is factual without being gory. Nothing 'cold' about it.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
What is so 'cold' about this? I don't get it. Two people got killed and it explained how they got killed. It is factual without being gory. Nothing 'cold' about it.
Mean-spirited Fire fighter!

We should include graphics of flowers and unicorns dancing? That would soften the news? They are still dead. Millions of people die every day. Many by means of horrible diseases like cancer or ALS. I'm not sure what good a bunch of hand wringing would do. A memorial fund to benefit the families would mean far more than empty words. If someone sets it up I'll send a few bucks.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

What kind of bird was it? Not to be unsympathetic but unless it was a Canada Goose or something similar in size why would you run out onto an active race track to drag it out of the way?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
Closed Thread