Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   2 Killed at Barber Racetrack (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/12029-2-killed-barber-racetrack.html)

Kenneth_Moore 05-26-2009 02:37 PM

2 Killed at Barber Racetrack

Updated: Friday, 22 May 2009, 4:14 PM CDT
Published : Friday, 22 May 2009, 12:51 PM CDT

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - A motorcycle rider and an on-track worker were killed Friday morning in a crash at the Barber Motorsports park.

According to Birmingham Police, several riders were running a test for a motorcycle race when one of the riders hit an employee on the track.

The on-track worker had reportedly went onto the track to remove a dead bird when he was hit.

The identities of the two victims have not yet been released.

dennisfallen 05-26-2009 04:17 PM

That's very sad news.
Just a suggestion,would it be a good idea do you think,to "soften"the thread title ?:(

Kenneth_Moore 05-26-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisfallen (Post 214600)
That's very sad news.
Just a suggestion,would it be a good idea do you think,to "soften"the thread title ?:(

Yes, it is very sad. The incident cast a pall on the racing at Palm Beach Int'l Speedway this weekend; apparently many of the riders knew the people involved and had just been there for a different event.

I don't think the title is all that bad; besides I quoted another source, and it would be inappropriate to substantively change the content without editorial permission. It is what it is.

This reminds me of when a jelly company tried to improve their product brand identification. They'd been using the slogan: "Because with a name like Mangled Baby Squirrel Guts, it has to be good," but then decided to use their company founder's name instead. Sometimes change is good.

Dr_Sprocket 05-26-2009 06:17 PM

Mokester already posted this in his "RIP..." thread. Still, it's sad news, indeed.

dennisfallen 05-27-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 214605)
Yes, it is very sad. The incident cast a pall on the racing at Palm Beach Int'l Speedway this weekend; apparently many of the riders knew the people involved and had just been there for a different event.

I don't think the title is all that bad; besides I quoted another source, and it would be inappropriate to substantively change the content without editorial permission. It is what it is.

This reminds me of when a jelly company tried to improve their product brand identification. They'd been using the slogan: "Because with a name like Mangled Baby Squirrel Guts, it has to be good," but then decided to use their company founder's name instead. Sometimes change is good.

I hear what you're saying.Seeing as you're quoting from another source you obvoiusly had nothing to do with the title.My concern is that for a family member or relative/friend of the deceased persons to read ,it is a very"cold"way of reporting the sad incident.Oh well it's done now anyway.:(

SmokeU 05-27-2009 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisfallen (Post 214662)
I hear what you're saying.Seeing as you're quoting from another source you obvoiusly had nothing to do with the title.My concern is that for a family member or relative/friend of the deceased persons to read ,it is a very"cold"way of reporting the sad incident.Oh well it's done now anyway.:(

I prefer factual news/information rather than sugar coated. If it's cold it's cold but I'd rather have the truth outright.

longride 05-27-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 214665)
I prefer factual news/information rather than sugar coated. If it's cold it's cold but I'd rather have the truth outright.

What is so 'cold' about this? I don't get it. Two people got killed and it explained how they got killed. It is factual without being gory. Nothing 'cold' about it.

seruzawa 05-27-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 214666)
What is so 'cold' about this? I don't get it. Two people got killed and it explained how they got killed. It is factual without being gory. Nothing 'cold' about it.

Mean-spirited Fire fighter!

We should include graphics of flowers and unicorns dancing? That would soften the news? They are still dead. Millions of people die every day. Many by means of horrible diseases like cancer or ALS. I'm not sure what good a bunch of hand wringing would do. A memorial fund to benefit the families would mean far more than empty words. If someone sets it up I'll send a few bucks.

sarnali2 05-27-2009 07:51 AM

What kind of bird was it? Not to be unsympathetic but unless it was a Canada Goose or something similar in size why would you run out onto an active race track to drag it out of the way?