Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #31
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
It's a rice burner bro.
It's a BMW with the motor jacked around sideways.

It's a floor polish. It's a dessert topping! It's both!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #32
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It's a BMW with the motor jacked around sideways.

It's a floor polish. It's a dessert topping! It's both!

It's AMWAY !!! and you can be a part of it!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #33
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The fact remains Moke that the only real maintenance a Harley needs is an oil change and washing the air filter out once in a while and even the most minimally skilled rider can figure that one out.

The oil and filter get changed every 5K, the primary drive lube is every 10k and the transmission is out to 20k. The air cleaner is washable and reusable, the spark plugs are 20k and out in the open and there's a zerk fitting on the steering head bearings every once in awhile. Even more advanced (?) jobs like clutch adjustments and drive belt checks are no-brainers.

A modern Harley is about the most maintenance free vehicle you can get, the only time it should see the inside of a shop is for tires if the owner doesn't have a floor lift.
True...in your case, but we were speaking of which brand is more expensive to own if you didnt know how to service it. Pound for pound you pay more if you let the Harley dealer do it. Sure they are maintenace free, but if you cant work on one like most, you'll pay more.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The fact remains Moke that the only real maintenance a Harley needs is an oil change and washing the air filter out once in a while and even the most minimally skilled rider can figure that one out.

The oil and filter get changed every 5K, the primary drive lube is every 10k and the transmission is out to 20k. The air cleaner is washable and reusable, the spark plugs are 20k and out in the open and there's a zerk fitting on the steering head bearings every once in awhile. Even more advanced (?) jobs like clutch adjustments and drive belt checks are no-brainers.

A modern Harley is about the most maintenance free vehicle you can get, the only time it should see the inside of a shop is for tires if the owner doesn't have a floor lift.
Yeeehaw! Anyone who's too uncoordinated to do routine maintenance gets no sympathy from me.

But this discussion of HD maintenance vs Yamaha maintenance is silly when one compares it to the price of BMW maintenance. People are paying in the range of $2000 for routine maintenance at Accolade BMW. YIKES! And you guys are arguing over a measly 50 clams. LOL!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #35
pushrod
Founding Member

I do all the work on my Sprint myself, except for the 12K valve check/adjustment and swapping 'buns'. I take the 'hoops' to a local shop for the fighting and cussing.

While the service requirements are few, my '88 FXR had much less. Barring the three oil change requirements, all I did to that bike was tire changes. (Apparently, wheels and tires on Harleys are not referred to as 'hoops' and 'buns'.)

And as far as the V-Rod, that powerplant is a Porsche design, IIRC. It's a shame they've wasted it in the V-Rod. I think it would make a b*tchin' Dresser motor.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #36
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

And as far as the V-Rod, that powerplant is a Porsche design, IIRC. It's a shame they've wasted it in the V-Rod. I think it would make a b*tchin' Dresser motor.

Except for the bullmadura mileage it gets in it's current tune.

Klock Werks in South Dakota puts Road Glide fairings on Vrods. They look pretty sweet.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #37
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"And as far as the V-Rod, that powerplant is a Porsche design, IIRC. It's a shame they've wasted it in the V-Rod. I think it would make a b*tchin' Dresser motor."

I been saying that since it came out. If they put a V-Rod motor in a true dresser design, I'd get one for sure. That ain't just talk either.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #38
12er
Founding Member

I do tires and brake pads on my BMW but too lazy to deal with the rest.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #39
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Yeah... I take my "hoops" in to Cycle Gear and have my "wrench" "spoon on some sticky buns" after I "shred" them "layin' b*tchin' darkies" out in the "twisties"....

Lemme' see now......that's um..........376 Buzzword Bingo points for me I believe.....plus a double word score so.....439 total in one post... Not too shabby eh?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote