Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Bullmadura, a vrod is every bit as much a Harley as anything else in their line. That said I'd be buying a manual if I had one and boning up on it, I don't trust the average HD schmoe with my 96 let alone a VRod.

All you Ducati guys think your intruder don't stink.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #22
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"I believe on average the Big Japanese Cruisers would be around 14000 miles. And even then I think our valve adjust or full service is still cheaper.

Thats funny you said Moron and Harley in the same sentence. Hehehehe"

So you believe the 14000 mile valve adjust service is cheaper than a Harley valve service? Who is the moron? My Harley doesn't need the valves adjusted.......ever.

Ok LR this is what I found at the closest Harley dealer. I was correct, to pay a dealer to do your 5-10-20k service would be as follows

Dynas(bigger twins)= 529.00 w/parts and labor
Sporsters(smaller twins)=499.00 w/ parts and labor

Stratoliner doesnt need valve adjustment until 16k and costs at my shop, 450 w/parts and labor. The Yamaha Stratoliners valve adjustment is still cheaper than a harley service to perform a full 5-10-20k service and they dont even adjust valves, That would be the moron!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The point is that I certainly don't have ot bring in a Harley for an oil change. Any idiot can accomplsh that himself with minimal tools and experience. Doing a valve adjustment is a different story. The moron that bought the Stratoliner most certainly can't do the valve adjustment, which means he has no option but to pay some pimply kid to do it for 450 bucks. My oil changes at 5 10 and 15 thou on the Harley are 30 bucks, so I'd say the moron is the Stratoliner owner.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #24
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
The point is that I certainly don't have ot bring in a Harley for an oil change. Any idiot can accomplsh that himself with minimal tools and experience. Doing a valve adjustment is a different story. The moron that bought the Stratoliner most certainly can't do the valve adjustment, which means he has no option but to pay some pimply kid to do it for 450 bucks. My oil changes at 5 10 and 15 thou on the Harley are 30 bucks, so I'd say the moron is the Stratoliner owner.

MY point has nothing to do with you other than the fact that Harleys are more expensive to buy and to service. I knew you did all the labor on yours. But the simple fact remains the Harleys are more expensive to own, unless your servicing them yourself, but remember the cost of a new Harley compaired to any metric cruiser. If you really want to compair let us do it with a hydrualic metric cruiser, it would be even cheaper?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
MY point has nothing to do with you other than the fact that Harleys are more expensive to buy and to service. I knew you did all the labor on yours. But the simple fact remains the Harleys are more expensive to own, unless your servicing them yourself, but remember the cost of a new Harley compaired to any metric cruiser. If you really want to compair let us do it with a hydrualic metric cruiser, it would be even cheaper?

HD's are still just as cheap. I know a LOT of HD owners and none of them pay the bloated prices you're spouting.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
HD's are still just as cheap. I know a LOT of HD owners and none of them pay the bloated prices you're spouting.
An intelligent person buys a Yamaha for $12,000. He saves $50 per maintenance intevral and sells the bike 5 years later for $5000 having saved $500 in maintenance costs.

A moron buys a Harley for $14,000. This fool spends $500 more for maintenance over the same period and then sells his Harley for $12000.

Brings new meaning to the word 'moron'.

Last edited by seruzawa : 05-07-2009 at 12:18 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #27
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
Yeah? I talk with people everyday that own harleys and they hate that the cost on average is twice the price. We are speaking new to new now. And really when you bring up power its a no brainer! How come you dont trade your Zg for one?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #28
MOKE1K
Registered Member

The best one is when people say they bring a better trade value, which is when I respond, " yeah cause you paided twice as much"!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #29
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Yeah? I talk with people everyday that own harleys and they hate that the cost on average is twice the price. We are speaking new to new now. And really when you bring up power its a no brainer! How come you dont trade your Zg for one?
The ZG isnt' going anywhere. The wife likes it too much. YES, I have been keeping an eye out for a '01 - '03 883R. As far as me buying new, they're too expensive(ANY new cruiser that has more than 50hp).
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #30
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The fact remains Moke that the only real maintenance a Harley needs is an oil change and washing the air filter out once in a while and even the most minimally skilled rider can figure that one out.

The oil and filter get changed every 5K, the primary drive lube is every 10k and the transmission is out to 20k. The air cleaner is washable and reusable, the spark plugs are 20k and out in the open and there's a zerk fitting on the steering head bearings every once in awhile. Even more advanced (?) jobs like clutch adjustments and drive belt checks are no-brainers.

A modern Harley is about the most maintenance free vehicle you can get, the only time it should see the inside of a shop is for tires if the owner doesn't have a floor lift.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote