Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
What is the 'high cost they are paying every day' mean? Which Harley needs the valves done every 5000 miles? Let me know, so I can get the Vasaline ready. Even a complete moron can work on a Harley. If you take it to the dealer, you deserve what you get.

J&L Harley in Sioux Falls had to send their mechanics to a special "valve adjustment" training after the V-Rod came out. None of them knew how to adjust valves.

Otherwise I agree, HD's don't typically need jack for maintanence.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
What is the 'high cost they are paying every day' mean? Which Harley needs the valves done every 5000 miles? Let me know, so I can get the Vasaline ready. Even a complete moron can work on a Harley. If you take it to the dealer, you deserve what you get.
The high cost people pay everyday, at the local HD dealer? Iam sure yours is around the same labor rate, but from all the HD guys that wonder over to my shop and complain, Iam assuming its not cheap.

Hell I sold a bike once to a guy that came *****ing about how much his service was costing him over at Harley. So he bought a xv19 from me and sold his Harley.

5000miles whow? Thats a little excessive? I believe on average the Big Japanese Cruisers would be around 14000 miles. And even then I think our valve adjust or full service is still cheaper.

Thats funny you said Moron and Harley in the same sentence. Hehehehe
Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I don't think so. If service were related to bike cost then BMW's service wouldn't be in the madura hole.
The bikes are expensive, but so is getting maintenence completed on them, if you are unable to do it yourself. Hell no one even buys tires over at the HD shop thats located by ours, they all come to our shop cause weve always given better prices on tires and labor.

When's the last time youve had an HD Dealer service your (probably one of many) FXDWGYT Roadkiller? Trust me it aint cheap!

Last edited by MOKE1K : 05-06-2009 at 10:51 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
The bikes are expensive, but so is getting maintenence completed on them, if you are unable to do it yourself. Hell no one even buys tires over at the HD shop thats located by our us, they all come to our shop cause weve always given better prices on tires and labor.

When's the last time youve had an HD Dealer service your (probably one of many) FXDWGYT Roadkiller? Trust me it aint cheap!
Ha! I've never had a shop service any bike I've ever owned. About all I do is take the wheels down to have tires put on or have a new cylinder pressed into a block. Why people think they can't change oil or do valve checks is a mystery to me. It ain't that hard.

Quality of service depends on quality of dealer, not a particular brand. But I can see why Ducati dealers might be less cumbersome than the big dealers who think they can crap on customers. Honda, HD and BMW are the worst in my experience.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I believe on average the Big Japanese Cruisers would be around 14000 miles. And even then I think our valve adjust or full service is still cheaper.

Thats funny you said Moron and Harley in the same sentence. Hehehehe"

So you believe the 14000 mile valve adjust service is cheaper than a Harley valve service? Who is the moron? My Harley doesn't need the valves adjusted.......ever.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Gee, when I went to the Ducati dealership with money in hand, I couldn't get a saleshole to call me with the price for two weeks. They had demo models of the Classic and the Multi that I would have bought in a minute if they had made the slightest effort to sell me one.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #17
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Gee, when I went to the Ducati dealership with money in hand, I couldn't get a saleshole to call me with the price for two weeks. They had demo models of the Classic and the Multi that I would have bought in a minute if they had made the slightest effort to sell me one.
I've always had great luck in Fargo at the Duc dealer. Course they also sell Triumph and haven't had a Duc dealership for a few years now though. They just couldn't sell enough Ducs in Fargo I suppose, though the Triumphs sell well.

Great place. They let me demo their bikes when I was younger than 21. They had a minimum age of 21 for their demo bikes.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post

5000miles whow? Thats a little excessive? I believe on average the Big Japanese Cruisers would be around 14000 miles. And even then I think our valve adjust or full service is still cheaper.

The service interval for HD valve adjustments is "never." They use self adjusting hydraulic lifters that do not require adjustment; just the correct setup when the lifters are installed. Even the pushrods (no, not you, PR) are fixed length. Except for the vRoD, which isn't really a Harley anyway.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #19
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
"I believe on average the Big Japanese Cruisers would be around 14000 miles. And even then I think our valve adjust or full service is still cheaper.

Thats funny you said Moron and Harley in the same sentence. Hehehehe"

So you believe the 14000 mile valve adjust service is cheaper than a Harley valve service? Who is the moron? My Harley doesn't need the valves adjusted.......ever.
Man dont get your panties in a wad LR, I thought it was funny? Jezz Why do you take it so personally, its just HD? Hmmmmm.

Tell ya what, I'll call the shop across the street and get back with ya. And I wasnt calling you a Moron, but hearing it in the same sentence IS kind of funny. You must hold a special place in your heart for the HD brand since you seem so touchy when I mention them, what gives?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
The service interval for HD valve adjustments is "never." They use self adjusting hydraulic lifters that do not require adjustment; just the correct setup when the lifters are installed. Even the pushrods (no, not you, PR) are fixed length. Except for the vRoD, which isn't really a Harley anyway.
It's a rice burner bro.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote