Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   H-D announces more job cuts (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11599)

Administrator 04-16-2009 12:19 PM

H-D announces more job cuts

Original Article:
H-D announces more job cuts

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article H-D announces more job cuts in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 04-16-2009 12:33 PM

Those Union guys are probably real glad that they held out for $19.80 and hour for a beginning wage vs the $16.50 the Company wanted to offer. Now 800 of them get to get $0.00 per hour.

The Union officials keep their jobs though, so at least the priorities are straight!

Neal 04-16-2009 12:41 PM

Not bad

Actually,this is a surprisingly positive report. HD still plans on selling over 250000 units in a recession? Still have pretty decent profits? Lots of companies right now would love to have such "bad " news (e.g.:GM,Chrysler,Ford). HD continues to surprise me despite the negative environment for discretionary funding and the constant criticism from naysayers. If this economy doesnt turn,they may still have major problems and they face product issues with an aging customer base and changing tastes but their business acumen is still intact.

acecycleins 04-16-2009 12:48 PM

Had to lay off those guys so the Italians can keep the latte machine workin'.

Buzglyd 04-16-2009 03:48 PM

I predicted this. The GMP says the GPTB won't buy motorcycles any longer! They don't offer a V4 for the youth market!

I just had to beat "BYU Rider" to the punch.

Dr_Sprocket 04-16-2009 04:06 PM

Sheesh!

Not a day goes by that we don't hear about some person getting laid-off. When's it all going to end? Sheesh!

krider001 04-16-2009 05:30 PM

You are so funny

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 210655)
I predicted this. The GMP says the GPTB won't buy motorcycles any longer! They don't offer a V4 for the youth market!

I just had to beat "BYU Rider" to the punch.

Yep I am really pleasantly surprised with HD financial results have to agree with Neal. After pulling out of the stock market before the big plunge I am 80% back in. However, my divorce took a big chunk of my 401 K though. Otherwise I would have bought MO and kicked the GPTB off. Now that the Buell is winning races (chuckle) I think I'll buy HD stock cause Buell is HDs future..Most kids won't see the fine print of the racing rules and will love to buy an American bike that can beat the Japanese sportbikes. DMG is a great marketing arm for HD

Agree with seruzawa on the union thing sorry sarnali Every time a union gets more money in a contract the easier it is to make the case to outsource, create two tier labor rates and or reduce labor by automation, lean manufacturing, etc.

The Great One

The_AirHawk 04-16-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krider001 (Post 210667)
Yep I am really pleasantly surprised with HD financial results have to agree with Neal. After pulling out of the stock market before the big plunge I am 80% back in. However, my divorce took a big chunk of my 401 K though. Otherwise I would have bought MO and kicked the GPTB off. Now that the Buell is winning races (chuckle) I think I'll buy HD stock cause Buell is HDs future..Most kids won't see the fine print of the racing rules and will love to buy an American bike that can beat the Japanese sportbikes. DMG is a great marketing arm for HD

Agree with seruzawa on the union thing sorry sarnali Every time a union gets more money in a contract the easier it is to make the case to outsource, create two tier labor rates and or reduce labor by automation, lean manufacturing, etc.

The Great One

Put down the Crack Pipe, and slowly back away before someone shoots you with a 12-guage Broomstick.........

sarnali2 04-16-2009 10:03 PM

Saru you're right it is stupid to keep pushing for higher wages every go-round, that's why we concentrate on no take-aways and a COLA. Other Unions should get the hint, now is not the time. However using Branson as a spokesman and blaming loss's on the strike when any retard can see that their own out-sourcing production on a technologically groundbreaking product is what has totally f*cked up production schedules is typical below the belt managerial BS.

Once you move manufacturing out from under internal oversight you loose QC every time and that's exactly why you have sub-par fasteners, improper composite alignment and a heat treat and a host of other issues that have to be rectified in-house by guess who??? the same people you've been demonizing and blaming for the need to outsource in the first place........

Unf*ckingbelievable...

seruzawa 04-16-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 210693)
Saru you're right it is stupid to keep pushing for higher wages every go-round, that's why we concentrate on no take-aways and a COLA. Other Unions should get the hint, now is not the time. However using Branson as a spokesman and blaming loss's on the strike when any retard can see that their own out-sourcing production on a technologically groundbreaking product is what has totally f*cked up production schedules is typical below the belt managerial BS.

Once you move manufacturing out from under internal oversight you loose QC every time and that's exactly why you have sub-par fasteners, improper composite alignment and a heat treat and a host of other issues that have to be rectified in-house by guess who??? the same people you've been demonizing and blaming for the need to outsource in the first place........

Unf*ckingbelievable...

You're right guy. But I have a novel idea. How about we do tort reform and reduce regulation until it becomes profitable to actually run manufacturing plants in the US again? It 's easy to blame too high wages and "evil" management, but I suspect that it wouldn't be hard to make the USA manufacturing friendly again. However with a hundred govt agencies to deal with and a legal system that changes the rules at the drop of a hat it's no wonder so much manufacturing has left the USA. Why deal with the heartaches of morons with "equal pay for equal work", "living wag" and other equally arbitrary looting schemes? Move to China.Then you only have to pay squeeze to a couple guys who really want you there in the first place and don't take to the cameras every day to tell the world how evil you are because you run a business.

If you want to see that cause of the loss of these jobs you only need look at Washington.