Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   California considers smog testing bikes (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/11160-california-considers-smog-testing-bikes.html)

Administrator 03-19-2009 11:13 AM

California considers smog testing bikes

Original Article:
California considers smog testing bikes

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article California considers smog testing bikes in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

acecycleins 03-19-2009 11:37 AM

It should read: California considering sticking it to the owners of the smallest segment of road going vehicles with new tax.

Actually I figured this was on the way years ago. If I can't make it as an insurance man then I might get a dyno and start my new ACE- Atlanta Cycle Emissions- maybe even go mobile. Get one of those Dodge Sprints and a computer with mobile internet. Bet I could set it up for about $40k if I buy used equipment.

pplassm 03-19-2009 12:18 PM

When I lived in AZ in the early '80s, certain counties tested for emissions. The "hot set-up" if you failed, was to go to a certain shop outside the county. Quick $20 tune up, and you'r e back on the road.

longride 03-19-2009 12:45 PM

Just when you thought Cali was running out of people to f&ck.......

mscuddy 03-19-2009 12:55 PM

Yep, as a former smog man who quit the biz when NOX testing went into effect (had to buy a dyno at about $100 grand) they've been toying with testing bikes in Kalifornia for about 10 years now. Why do you think all the new weed wackers and leaf blowers are now four stroke?

And penalties for motorcyclists who modify exhaust/intake systems, no registration pardner. Flunk the visual and out you go.

It will only get worse with the new administration. A whole new cash cow for the state and federal govt.

Mark my words, smog testing in Cali will be centralized, taken back by the state, and then all those BAR90's and dynos will make great dust collectors.

sarnali2 03-19-2009 01:17 PM

It's already a federal offense to modify any part of your intake and/or exhaust in anyway that causes it to go out of OEM spec. All the Feds have to do is institute M/C inspections like they do car smog inspections and enforce a law that's already on the books and no more aftermarket "performance" add-ons.

Typical Gov'ment BS though, instead of enforcing an exhisting law just write another one to cover the same thing.

seruzawa 03-19-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 207721)
Just when you thought Cali was running out of people to f&ck.......

Our nation is in the hands of total looney bin cases.

Funny. Even though the predictions of total govt takeover of all aspects of society have been bearing fruit the usual suspects still deny the possibility of a total fascist Amerika in a few years. The contortions and gyrations needed to justify this current crop of incompetent and destructive "leaders" and their hare-brained decisions makes the average Obama-lover a shoo-in for the circus.

longride 03-19-2009 01:38 PM

Not much left for the Gov to take. Illinois is now raising the income tax and license registrations. So much for the Obamalama 'stimulus' plan. They give with one hand and take with the other.Not that they would ever figure out how to save money. Nah. Too hard. Just raise taxes.....again.....and again.....and again......

12er 03-19-2009 05:24 PM

We need law unmakers...

mscuddy 03-19-2009 06:54 PM

...or a whole lot of tar and feathers...