Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 03-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2009 AMA Superbike Daytona results

Original Article:
2009 AMA Superbike Daytona results

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 AMA Superbike Daytona results in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Man, longride must really be p!ssed right now.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

He's just THAT Damn Good........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Moke's not going to like this one...

Pegram had to turn off his traction control, resulting in him falling out of contention for the race, eh? Another example FOR the notion that these safety devices (i.e. traction control, A/B/C mode buttons, slipper clutches, anti-lock brakes, etc.) are all designed to help the rider - who, no matter how good they might be, is inevitable fallible and will make mistakes.

Sorry, Moke. Looks like your boat's sprung another leak.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Pegram had to turn off his traction control, resulting in him falling out of contention for the race, eh? Another example FOR the notion that these safety devices (i.e. traction control, A/B/C mode buttons, slipper clutches, anti-lock brakes, etc.) are all designed to help the rider - who, no matter how good they might be, is inevitable fallible and will make mistakes.

Why learn braking? You've got ABS.... just jam 'em.

Why learn proper clutching/shifting? You've got slipper clutches... just dump it.

Why learn to use the throttle properly? You've got traction control... just pin it.

Eventually the bikes will be computer programmed and unpiloted.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Eventually the bikes will be computer programmed and unpiloted.
Same for cars, planes, trains, etc. Computers will take over, in the interest of "safety", which will eliminate or minimize human input (and mistakes). The question is... is that such a bad thing?

I saw an article several years ago about the Highway Department trying to develop some car/road interface where the car uses sensors placed on the road and in other cars to control speed. This was supposed to reduce the number of traffic accidents. I remember thinking to myself, "Why don't people just pay attention when they drive?"

It seems as if we (Americans) have taken the responsibility off of the individual and foisted it upon the govenment.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Same for cars, planes, trains, etc. Computers will take over, in the interest of "safety", which will eliminate or minimize human input (and mistakes). The question is... is that such a bad thing?

I saw an article several years ago about the Highway Department trying to develop some car/road interface where the car uses sensors placed on the road and in other cars to control speed. This was supposed to reduce the number of traffic accidents. I remember thinking to myself, "Why don't people just pay attention when they drive?"

It seems as if we (Americans) have taken the responsibility off of the individual and foisted it upon the govenment.
I haven't. I've fought and written letters and called my reps to oppose intrusive laws many times.

I think you can see as well as any other intelligent person just where such a massive govt power would lead. You'd end up needing permission to drive to the local supermarket. You would never be able to just jump in your car and drive somewhere, but would need an approved travel plan signed off on by the environmental committee which would, of course, deny you that vacation to Yellowstone because of the need to conserve carbon, etc etc ad inifinitum.

Last edited by seruzawa : 03-07-2009 at 06:20 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question

Quote:

Your truly lost arent you? The street and the track are two different worlds, spectator! A world that you'll obviously never really understand I guess. Beside's have you ever heard of being dependant on something.

And remember your argument was in giving a 1000 with a/b/c mode to a new rider, not a professional paid sponsored racer?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Your truly lost arent you? The street and the track are two different worlds, spectator! A world that you'll obviously never really understand I guess. Beside's have you ever heard of being dependant on something.

And remember your argument was in giving a 1000 with a/b/c mode to a new rider, not a professional paid sponsored racer?
Be that as it may, it still turns out that the dude lost, not because of his skill, but because some fancy gadget failed. The debate is over how much of this tech do we want in racing. Eventually you could develop enough technology to make the races entirely uninteresting. Where do we stop? I personally think the tech is starting to reach that point. Much more and the wins might be entirely dependent on tech and the riders will become more irrelevant. I'd hate to see that.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Be that as it may, it still turns out that the dude lost, not because of his skill, but because some fancy gadget failed.
Which is why I hate these items. One because people mistake them for being a learning tool for novices and secondly because racers become dependant on them to do the work. Imo the 500 era was the best. The bikes where barley controlable and deffinatly out of control.

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 03-09-2009 at 11:07 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote