Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 34
Default 2009 AMA Superbike Daytona results

Original Article:
2009 AMA Superbike Daytona results

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 AMA Superbike Daytona results in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Man, longride must really be p!ssed right now.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

He's just THAT Damn Good........
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default Moke's not going to like this one...

Pegram had to turn off his traction control, resulting in him falling out of contention for the race, eh? Another example FOR the notion that these safety devices (i.e. traction control, A/B/C mode buttons, slipper clutches, anti-lock brakes, etc.) are all designed to help the rider - who, no matter how good they might be, is inevitable fallible and will make mistakes.

Sorry, Moke. Looks like your boat's sprung another leak.
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Pegram had to turn off his traction control, resulting in him falling out of contention for the race, eh? Another example FOR the notion that these safety devices (i.e. traction control, A/B/C mode buttons, slipper clutches, anti-lock brakes, etc.) are all designed to help the rider - who, no matter how good they might be, is inevitable fallible and will make mistakes.

Sorry, Moke. Looks like your boat's sprung another leak.
Why learn braking? You've got ABS.... just jam 'em.

Why learn proper clutching/shifting? You've got slipper clutches... just dump it.

Why learn to use the throttle properly? You've got traction control... just pin it.

Eventually the bikes will be computer programmed and unpiloted.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Eventually the bikes will be computer programmed and unpiloted.
Same for cars, planes, trains, etc. Computers will take over, in the interest of "safety", which will eliminate or minimize human input (and mistakes). The question is... is that such a bad thing?

I saw an article several years ago about the Highway Department trying to develop some car/road interface where the car uses sensors placed on the road and in other cars to control speed. This was supposed to reduce the number of traffic accidents. I remember thinking to myself, "Why don't people just pay attention when they drive?"

It seems as if we (Americans) have taken the responsibility off of the individual and foisted it upon the govenment.
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Same for cars, planes, trains, etc. Computers will take over, in the interest of "safety", which will eliminate or minimize human input (and mistakes). The question is... is that such a bad thing?

I saw an article several years ago about the Highway Department trying to develop some car/road interface where the car uses sensors placed on the road and in other cars to control speed. This was supposed to reduce the number of traffic accidents. I remember thinking to myself, "Why don't people just pay attention when they drive?"

It seems as if we (Americans) have taken the responsibility off of the individual and foisted it upon the govenment.
I haven't. I've fought and written letters and called my reps to oppose intrusive laws many times.

I think you can see as well as any other intelligent person just where such a massive govt power would lead. You'd end up needing permission to drive to the local supermarket. You would never be able to just jump in your car and drive somewhere, but would need an approved travel plan signed off on by the environmental committee which would, of course, deny you that vacation to Yellowstone because of the need to conserve carbon, etc etc ad inifinitum.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Last edited by seruzawa : 03-07-2009 at 06:20 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Pegram had to turn off his traction control, resulting in him falling out of contention for the race, eh? Another example FOR the notion that these safety devices (i.e. traction control, A/B/C mode buttons, slipper clutches, anti-lock brakes, etc.) are all designed to help the rider - who, no matter how good they might be, is inevitable fallible and will make mistakes.

Sorry, Moke. Looks like your boat's sprung another leak.
Your truly lost arent you? The street and the track are two different worlds, spectator! A world that you'll obviously never really understand I guess. Beside's have you ever heard of being dependant on something.

And remember your argument was in giving a 1000 with a/b/c mode to a new rider, not a professional paid sponsored racer?
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Your truly lost arent you? The street and the track are two different worlds, spectator! A world that you'll obviously never really understand I guess. Beside's have you ever heard of being dependant on something.

And remember your argument was in giving a 1000 with a/b/c mode to a new rider, not a professional paid sponsored racer?
Be that as it may, it still turns out that the dude lost, not because of his skill, but because some fancy gadget failed. The debate is over how much of this tech do we want in racing. Eventually you could develop enough technology to make the races entirely uninteresting. Where do we stop? I personally think the tech is starting to reach that point. Much more and the wins might be entirely dependent on tech and the riders will become more irrelevant. I'd hate to see that.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Be that as it may, it still turns out that the dude lost, not because of his skill, but because some fancy gadget failed.
Which is why I hate these items. One because people mistake them for being a learning tool for novices and secondly because racers become dependant on them to do the work. Imo the 500 era was the best. The bikes where barley controlable and deffinatly out of control.
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 03-09-2009 at 11:07 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off