Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #31
pdad13
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
On the weight: I think it's possible but unlikely that you could achieve the weight.

On the Wheels- Ducs use mag wheels and as long as they are offered to the public in the after-market then they are legal.

On supension- It's the internals that get changed. Not the fork. Almost everyone making suspension parts markets something that will work for the grid- except Buell. Those needed to be designed then installed, tested and eventually marketed. I'll give them a bye on the suspension because they will become available.

One the weight reduction: I'm not convenced that the wheels were the contributing factor. Maybe the stock exhaust in insanely heavy compared to the pipe they use. You can save 20 lbs from that alone. But you got me as to why they gave the break. I do believe that the power to weight is still the same, though. Maybe they have to give up some tuning to get the weight right.

Either way, Barney and Danny will do Buell proud this season. The weight issue I believe is a non-issue. I think it was a bargining tool in the event that they put some of the race parts into production bikes in the future. When you look at the KTM RC8 vs the Buell they are very similar, but the horsepower would go to the KTM. However, this very bike would be in a state of de-tuning when looking at the power to weight. DMG said the point is to get the bikes on a similar playing field. Meaning that as long as the total weight (including rider) and power are within spec then you get ot race. Maybe, Barney is heavier than your average 600 rider. If so, then Barney can tune his bike with higher hp limits compared to his skinnier 600cc rivals. Just as long as the power to weight isn't out of spec then all is fair- I suppose.
Disclaimer: Ace, I'm not trying to bust your chops. I'm just trying to understand this. Yeah, I don't have much to do at work today.

Wheels: Whether or not Duc--or Buell, for that matter--is allowed to use non-stock wheels isn't really my point. I'm just pointing out that they've added parts that could help them get closer to the magic 365 lbs. Magnesium wheels could save in the neighborhood of 8-10 lbs. That's a big chunk when you're trying to shed about 15-20 lbs.

Suspension/Forks: Yeah, you're probably right that the parts are just fork internals. But wait, are we sure? Because the parts are on the list of "special allowances," they're not subject to the original rules (stock inner and outer tubes). There's nothing to say that these can't be different (read: lighter) fork tubes. Unfortunately, we can't see the parts.

Power-to-Weight: I see no explicit mention of power-to-weight ratios in the tech regs for Daytona Sportbike. There is also no mention of rider weight, just fixed minimum weights for bikes by engine configuration. Presubably, AMA/DMG dumped that concept. The gist of how they intend to maintain balance is thus: "...AMA Pro Racing reserves at any time the right to implement restrictions including but not limited to adding or reducing weight to that type or model of motorcycle to restore competitive balance."

Of course, I haven't read the entire rulebook, but I think I got to most of the important stuff. If anyone knows any different, I'll be happy to eat crow. I really want to like this class--I love the different bikes racing against each other--and I really want to root for Buell, but something seems not quite right.

Last edited by pdad13 : 03-09-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: HPV
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #32
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question Hahahahahahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
What the heck does "homologated" mean, anyway?
BAAAHHHAAAAAAA, Your kidding right? This explains alot!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #33
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Nope. That was a serious question. Can you define the word WITHOUT looking it up? I'd bet you can't.

For the record, I'm a smart dude. I know the origins and roots of many words. I have never heard that word before. It doesn't mean I'm dumb - just that I don't know.

Oh... and you forgot the "w" in "bwaaaahhhhaaaahhhhaaa".
Old 03-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #34
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Oh, look! Moke is trying to act like an ass again.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #35
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

"Homologated" means that the milk has been processed so the fat doesn't separate from the liquid.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #36
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
"Homologated" means that the milk has been processed so the fat doesn't separate from the liquid.
My buddy had one of them Plymouth Superbirds - a 440-4bbl-4sp model. Chrysler built all the street models to Homogenize them for NASCAR racing...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #37
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Nope. That was a serious question. Can you define the word WITHOUT looking it up? I'd bet you can't.

For the record, I'm a smart dude. I know the origins and roots of many words. I have never heard that word before. It doesn't mean I'm dumb - just that I don't know.

Oh... and you forgot the "w" in "bwaaaahhhhaaaahhhhaaa".
Well let me see, can you say RC30? how about 0W01? or how about an easier one, one you might beable to relate to VR1000? These bikes where all homologated to be legally raced in the AMA.

Hey brother I do not doubt your a smart guy, never said you werent. Besides anybody spells better than me! But knowing the origins & roots of many words doesnt mean your ultimatley a smart guy. Show me the smartest "booksmarts" guy you can. If you expose him to the right enviornment he can look completely stupid. Theres street smarts and then theres book smarts. This is my problem only in reverse I have alot of experience but can never put it down on the keyboard correctly.

My comment about "that explains alot" derives from the fact that you agrue about these certain components and who they are put on the bike for yet, you've never heard the word homologated?

I have been following the Motorcycle Grandprixs for quite sometime now, 82- and on. Maybe not as long as some here but its been a while.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 03-11-2009 at 06:44 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #38
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Oh, look! Moke is trying to act like an ass again.
Yeah, it doesnt come as naturally to me as it does to you! I have to try
Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

MOKE, you have to stop being a bad boy! You are getting the natives restless!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #40
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Longrides back!