Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   H-D profits down in 2008 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/10483-h-d-profits-down-2008-a.html)

Administrator 01-23-2009 03:22 PM

H-D profits down in 2008

Original Article:
H-D profits down in 2008

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article H-D profits down in 2008 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

BrowningBAR 01-23-2009 03:28 PM

At this rate even my cheap ass will be able to afford a NEW bike.

Or, get a smoking deal on CraigsList.

longride 01-23-2009 04:33 PM

I'm trying. They ain't there yet.

seruzawa 01-23-2009 04:41 PM

They only cleared $650mill rather than $900mill. Time to panic and lay everybody off!

Dr_Sprocket 01-23-2009 04:51 PM

Economics 101

Sounds like H-D has a solid plan to weather the current economic storm. Control the supply to artificially create demand and elevated prices.

Wait! Isn't that what the oil companies are doing? And the diamond companies?

My money's on H-D to weather this just fine.

sarnali2 01-23-2009 06:08 PM

Nope this is it..the big slide for HD....to many models, too many dealers and not enough midlife crisis commandos to fleece...

Pretty soon they'll start cutting and discontinueing models untill it's like the '70's all over again. Sportster, Superglide or FLH, take your pick. Harley dealers will go from being "boutiques" to being real motorsikkle shops that sell parts, tires and oil and a couple of T shirts..the guy behind the counter will actually know more about Harleys than you do, he won't be a "chrome consultant" he'll be a parts guy and he takes care of the light work if the mechanic's are busy. New bikes will sell for msrp. used ones will be a lot less and willing to wheel and deal, instead of a Hog Chapter meeting there'll be a barbecue 'round the back and if you're cool you get invited, bring a six pack for the shop fridge....just like the ol' days (snif)...

well It'd be nice anyway.....

GraySquid 01-23-2009 06:54 PM

At least they are making profits! I think they will be back strong because bike,s unlike most other things, are addictive and the sound of a Harley passing by is music to this addict. Wish my job was more secure I'd go get me the Fat Boy I have lusted forever for...hopefully at a discount.

longride 01-24-2009 05:36 AM

Well, well, well, look who is back. Boeing not doing well this year buddy? I thought you just got that nifty new CBR? I'm not sure who is going to drop the bomb on you this time. Maybe we will draw straws for the honor.

Buzglyd 01-24-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraySquid (Post 202291)
At least they are making profits! I think they will be back strong because bike,s unlike most other things, are addictive and the sound of a Harley passing by is music to this addict. Wish my job was more secure I'd go get me the Fat Boy I have lusted forever for...hopefully at a discount.

If that 787 gets delayed one more time you won't be able to afford a used crotch rocket.

Stay off the red state/blue state rants and I'll talk them into letting you lurk for a while.

The_AirHawk 01-24-2009 09:48 AM

Why the terrible urge to come back to MO, anyway? I got fired from a job one time when I was 15 - never bothered to look back.

If I feel I'm not wanted, I don't bother with the place. F'em.