Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 1
Default WSBK to race a record 32 entrants

Original Article:
WSBK to race a record 32 entrants

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article WSBK to race a record 32 entrants in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default Conspiracy theory

How is it that America, with as many riders and bike owners as we have, only has one rider in the field? How can a small country like Japan have 5 riders? Are more bikes purchased in Japan than here in the US? Are there four times as many qualified Japanese riders as there are American riders? It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default Here's a novel idea

WSBK is clearly "the show" right now. GP is clearly on life support. SOOOOO- why not do this:
1- MotoGP should build their calendar on the backs of the World and Local National series. Like AMA does at Laguna with GP.
If you piggy back the schedule on WSBK, AMA, BSB, AusSBK, and All Japan you could hit every track that you would normally hit during a season anyway. The savings in coss-promotion would be in the millions since you have a local promotor.
2- Slightly modify the RedBull Rookies Cup so that the "local" series are like regionals. The top 5 from each would race in conjunction with the last three races of GP. Top five finishers are the only points distributed. No pressure kids- welcome to racing.
3- When the 125 Rookies graduate then off they go into a rookies Superport class- like DMG is doing for the upcoming season. Maybe even start a Manufactures series like the Suzuki Rookies Cup.
4- Take away traction control in the GP level. Racing proto-types was a man's sport. Not for the meek. Those boys make good money to pilot those things. If you take away traction control there would be a shift from seeking horsepower to seeking drivability. Making the bike stick will drive the engineers nuts for at least two or three seasons before someone starts eeking out power again.
5- Mandate 17,000 as the rev ceiling in all levels of racing except RedBull (they police themselves). Many are already close or over that. If you limit it then the motors are subject to less stress. As suggested in the articles this should save money, as well.

Well, that's mostly it. If any of you know DORNA officials feel free to pass this along.


Just released- RedBull cuts off the US Rookies. Only on the GP schedule. Just shot my RedBull idea right in the a$$. D@mn.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.

Last edited by acecycleins : 01-15-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: this just in!!!!!
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
How is it that America, with as many riders and bike owners as we have, only has one rider in the field? How can a small country like Japan have 5 riders? Are more bikes purchased in Japan than here in the US? Are there four times as many qualified Japanese riders as there are American riders? It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.
In WSBK the AMA is considered a club series. That said, the AMA riders for Factory or Factory supported teams actually get paid more than they can make in WSBK. Why? We're the largest motorcycle market of 600cc and up motorcycles.
Are there guys that can compete at the World level: Ben Bostrom could easily return, Josh Hayes, Jake Zemke, Eric Bostrom (when he's done growing mangos in Brazil), Neil Hodgeson (Brit), Matt Lynn, Aaron Yates, Jaime Hacking (he's a citizen) are the best short list. Matt Mladin is too scared to try that's why I didn't include him.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
... the AMA riders for Factory or Factory supported teams actually get paid more than they can make in WSBK.
How is that possible? To me, that would be like a minor-leaguer getting paid more than a major-leaguer. (Which could happen if the minor-leaguer in question is Roger Clemmons on rehab assignment.) If that is the case, then I don't fault the riders. It just seems weird to me that a supposedly "higher" level of competition would pay less.

That would be akin to NOT wanting to play in NFL because you get paid more in the CFL. Does that really happen?
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
In WSBK the AMA is considered a club series. That said, the AMA riders for Factory or Factory supported teams actually get paid more than they can make in WSBK. Why? We're the largest motorcycle market of 600cc and up motorcycles.
Are there guys that can compete at the World level: Ben Bostrom could easily return, Josh Hayes, Jake Zemke, Eric Bostrom (when he's done growing mangos in Brazil), Neil Hodgeson (Brit), Matt Lynn, Aaron Yates, Jaime Hacking (he's a citizen) are the best short list. Matt Mladin is too scared to try that's why I didn't include him.
Formula 1 p*sses me off for that very same reason. You mean to tell me that the best the whole of North America has to offer is Jacques Villeneuve?!

Like they say on ESPN, "C'mon, man!"
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
How is that possible? To me, that would be like a minor-leaguer getting paid more than a major-leaguer. (Which could happen if the minor-leaguer in question is Roger Clemmons on rehab assignment.) If that is the case, then I don't fault the riders. It just seems weird to me that a supposedly "higher" level of competition would pay less.

That would be akin to NOT wanting to play in NFL because you get paid more in the CFL. Does that really happen?
The following riders make more money than there WSBK counter-parts:
Matt Mladin, Roger Lee Hayden, Ben Spies, Neil Hodgeson, Miguel Duhamel, Jamie Hacking, Tommy Hayden, Aaron Yates, Eric Bostrom.
If you add up the combine salaries (not endorsements) they will higher than the 2008 WSBK paddock salaries combined less Troy Bayliss and Troy Corser. With them added there's about a 1/2mil difference- edge going to WSBK. 10 guys in AMA are making the same money as 25-28 guys in WSBK.
AMA Roadracing riders make stupid money compared to WSBK. If you're ever on the paddock and get to talk to Ben Bostrom ask him how many rider's ride for virually no money. They rely on endorsement money as salary. AMA treats the contract process much more like other pro atheletes in the US.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off