Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 01-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Kawasaki announces MotoGP pull-out

Original Article:
Kawasaki announces MotoGP pull-out

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Kawasaki announces MotoGP pull-out in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Well. There they go. How many left on the grid? 16?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
12er
Founding Member

Hopper on the unemployment line.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default My Take

Kawi quits. Too Bad. Aspar will probably run the 09 bike for Kawi but the development for the bike will grind to a stop completely. R&D is done. All Aspar could do is work with what was given to them and hope for the best. Monster sundenly has freed up Sponsor money and a signed John Hopkins. Since this rumor started at Christmas it sounds like a suprise. BUUUUT wait: AMA/DMG is about to hit the track. I know Hopkins said he wouldn't be in a AMA seat but two things are clear: 1- Hacking has signed an extention (done in August) and Kawi hasn't returned the contract. Why would that be? Because they knew back in the middle of summer they were in trouble. RL is probably working for less money than Jamie and has his signed contract in place. Monster is probably going to insist that John have a seat somewhere and why not here? Sad for Jamie, but if Attack fields a Superbike then I believe Jamie's the guy. Why? No Chaz Davies this year. Chaz was expensive. Jamie expensive. So, no Chaz hello Jamie. It will only last one season probably, but we'll take the talent.

On to GP. It's done. They'll limp through the season with a short paddock, but when the trophy is handed to Rossi for the championship GP will announce that they will suspend all GP operations due to economic conditions. 2010-2013 will be the timeline. Well, racing will resume for the 2013 season, but three seasons of hiatus are on the way. Why? Suzuki will pull out at the end of the season. They can't field a competitive bike so why keep playing in the sandbox. If Kawi and Suz are toast then fielding Yamaha, Honda and Ducati won't make the field deep enough to sell tickets. Rossi will be asked if he wants to race out the rest of his contract on the Italia Yamaha bike along side Spies and Sykes. He'll accept out of curiosity and win the WSBK Championship in 2010.

My true belief is that GP has run its course for a while. WSBK factory machines (and a few strong privateers) are producing 220+ hp but are easier to maintain. The technology used in GP has already trickled down to WSBK and the rest of the Superbike world. So why develop something in prototype status when you can do the same thing using your streetbike platform. The electronics are already in place. The power is there and the weights are only a few kilos off one another. It's simply easier to trasnfer the WSBK technology to the street than to go GP to WSBK to the street.

On the plus side you will see many more teams in WSB in 2010. Some great GP racers will have to alter their talent for the transition, who cares. About now you're thinking "what about Nicky, Stoner, Edwards, Toseland and a few others?"

Ducati will expand the WSBK team or let the current line-up go. Edwards will be back in the USA on a Superbike. Toseland will go back to WSBK with Vermeulen and who gives a crap about the rest of them.

There you have it. The world of motorcycle racing was altered forever because of the pull-out and it will kill GP off after the season is over. But like Jesus MotoGP will resurect itself in 2013. It's not three days but it's better than nothing.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Mooner
Founding Member

Wow, you are like...a motorcycle prophet or something...
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooner View Post
Wow, you are like...a motorcycle prophet or something...
No. He was banned for not playing well with others. I'm simply a motorcycle roadrace fan. With all the things that have happened in the last season across the roadrace world I pride myself on having a keen eye for what's around the corner.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
No. He was banned for not playing well with others. I'm simply a motorcycle roadrace fan. With all the things that have happened in the last season across the roadrace world I pride myself on having a keen eye for what's around the corner.
We can always call you the Great Insurance Motorcycle Prophet. Or G.I.M.P. for short!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
We can always call you the Great Insurance Motorcycle Prophet. Or G.I.M.P. for short!
LOL!!! Sick but funny. That's why I love this site.

HEY DUKE!!- Pick a track and throw a party for all us regulars during the upcoming season. Like the Ducati Island we can be the MOFO Island (or MOron Island for the offended). Barber would be good, but I would ride to Mid-Ohio. Call John Place @ Barber(I have his cell # for you) and tell him you want it on Vendor Row (great site lines). If you go to Barber I bet a dollar to a donut that Schwantz would let your new racer boy sign up and review the class. Just a thought from the very bored.
Kirk
Old 01-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
Chief Waldo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Hopper on the unemployment line.
Sad news indeed.