Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Kawasaki to quit MotoGP? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/10282-kawasaki-quit-motogp.html)

seruzawa 12-30-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 200105)
So you think they don't get a sales ROI from the series? The old "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday isn't working anymore? Again, I have no idea, but I'm wondering if they're pissed about the format, internal politics, leadership, or something like that.

All of the above. Sales are badly down. Racing has become astronomically expensive. Manufacturers are deciding what they think is their best interests. They'll keep their hands racing in somewhere. But Kwacker is the smallest of the Big4 and likely just can't justify the costs right now.

longride 12-30-2008 01:57 PM

Honda just quit F1 for the same reason Kawasaki is quitting and Harley never even entered. Nobody buys an Accord because Honda won an F1 race. They could afford to pi$$ away the cash when times were good, but times are far fro good, and even the Japanese are feeling the pinch.

MOKE1K 12-30-2008 03:38 PM

Always believed Kawasaki to be the smallest Factory until a recent story in RW opened my eyes to how many things they actually produce.

MOKE1K 12-30-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 200098)
Ummmmm, it's a huge waste of money?? Do I get a prize or something?

Well yes, that goes without saying. But is that the reason Harley chooses not too compete? Money?

sfcdjevans 12-30-2008 04:04 PM

It's Puig's fault.;)

What will be interesting is FIM's contract with Dorna on the minimum number of bikes. Little late and the wrong economic situation to **** a new team. Paging Kenny Roberts, paging Kenny Roberts. None of this goin on in WSBK that I'm aware of, win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

Sad to see. It's nice to see the best, other than tires, that teams can put together in competition.

MOKE1K 12-30-2008 04:04 PM

Always believed Kawasaki to be the smallest Factory until a recent story in RW opened my eyes to how many things they actually produce.

seruzawa 12-30-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 200123)

The Kawasaki Corporation is freaking huge, dwarfing Suzuki and Yamaha and close to Honda Corp in worldwide sales. However the motorcycle division is smaller than the others and usually each division is required to stand or fall on it's own profitability.

Dr_Sprocket 12-30-2008 05:29 PM

Moment of silence...

I'd bet they would still be considering this move, even if they had won the Moto GP championship. Companies who have had long-term success have been force to pare down and cut the fat. Hopefully this (harumph) "recession" will end soon. People are getting laid-off left and right. It doesn't surprise me that a pro rider is going to be let go.

Moment of silence, please.

pplassm 12-31-2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 200107)
"So you think they don't get a sales ROI from the series? The old "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday isn't working anymore?"

That assumes the team is winning. LOL

The recession is just the final nudge to end the poor performing team.

MOKE1K 12-31-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 200131)
I'd bet they would still be considering this move, even if they had won the Moto GP championship. Companies who have had long-term success have been force to pare down and cut the fat. Hopefully this (harumph) "recession" will end soon. People are getting laid-off left and right. It doesn't surprise me that a pro rider is going to be let go.

Moment of silence, please.

I bet they'd scrap together another year if Hopper won the championship and had to defend his title. But yes
moment of silence please.