Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Honda slashes profit projections (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/10208-honda-slashes-profit-projections.html)

Administrator 12-18-2008 11:08 AM

Honda slashes profit projections

Original Article:
Honda slashes profit projections

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Honda slashes profit projections in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

EmeraldCityKnght 12-18-2008 12:02 PM

"Managers will receive a 10 percent pay cut starting January 2009." Interesting Honda still makes a profit but cuts Management salaries. Do you think GM, Ford and Chrysler would have done the same thing? Doubt they will get their salaries cut even now that they are going bankrupt. I know that the CEOs said they will work for $1 a year but that is really symbolic. Also the salary ratio of American upper management vs worker bee is obscene compared to Japan and even Europe. If Honda gets into electric bikes in two years we could be talking about volts, amps, and watts on this site in the future versus displacement ccs, cylinders, mgg, etc. With the dollar going further down wonder if Honda will make more bikes in the US. Interesting article

The_AirHawk 12-18-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmeraldCityKnght (Post 199366)
If Honda gets into electric bikes in two years we could be talking about volts, amps, and watts on this site in the future versus displacement ccs, cylinders, mgg, etc.

You say that like we don't already!

Quote:

With the dollar going further down wonder if Honda will make more bikes in the US. Interesting article
Huh? A quick check of xe.com shows the U.S. Dollar to be roughly at .70 Euro, .66 British Pound, 1.20 Canadian, and 89 Japanese Yen.

That is, vs 5 years-ago it is down about US $0.10 on the Euro, UP about $0.28 on the Pound, about the same on the Canadian, and down about $0.03 on the Yen.

EmeraldCityKnght 12-18-2008 02:47 PM

On the yen you need to go back further than 5 years same with the Euro. See this analysis. The current rise in the dollar is temporary. The Canadian dollar strength is very apparent here in Seattle where Canadians are flocking to our large malls to take advantage of their strong dollar a by product of their governments admirable fiscal restraint vs the huge deficits our government has tallied in the last 8 years. Bottom line motorcycles from Japan will cost more. Take a look at the cost of sport bikes in the last 8 years. A ZX-6R is almost $10,000 vs under $8000 back 8 years ago. Thats more than a 20% increase which probably is all exchange rate.
The Emerald City Knight
Seattle, WA

longride 12-18-2008 02:57 PM

Well, well, well.......look who's back. Aren't those the same Canadians the Queen gave their freedom? They didn't really have to earn it you know. Would you like to be banned now, or should I wait and let someone else do it?

Buzglyd 12-18-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 199391)
Well, well, well.......look who's back. Aren't those the same Canadians the Queen gave their freedom? They didn't really have to earn it you know. Would you like to be banned now, or should I wait and let someone else do it?

For the love of god don't ban him. Santa Claus has come to town!

Hopefully KP has been on the old eliptical trainer so he'll fit down all the MO readers chimneys.

How are the ponies kp?

sfcdjevans 12-18-2008 03:56 PM

Ketchup

Ketchup with natural mellowing agents....

acecycleins 12-18-2008 04:46 PM

I didn't actually read the article, but I did read recently that Am Honda's Blank said overall US sales dropped 30% in two months and that's one of the triggers that made Honda bail on F1 & AMA.

Dr_Sprocket 12-18-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 199403)
I didn't actually read the article, but I did read recently that Am Honda's Blank said overall US sales dropped 30% in two months and that's one of the triggers that made Honda bail on F1 & AMA.

I know the economy is in the crapper right now, but I don't think Honda offers the same value per dollar that they once did (with the exception of the Goldwing). I'm not sure who is the value leader now (perhaps Kawasaki or Suzuki), but Honda has some work to do.

SmokeU 12-19-2008 05:47 AM

Boring products = fewer sales

duh.