Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Norton back in Britain

Original Article:
Norton back in Britain

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Norton back in Britain in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Last edited by administrator : 12-18-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

One can only hope it flies this time.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Now that's a bike I'd be interested in owning. It goes on the list of bikes I might actually buy.

Just got to wait a few months and see whether the hyperinflation happens or not.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Deer tried really hard to get the backing and make this work. His designs were top notch. I really hope the "new guys" pull off the impossible and these thing can be bought affordably.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

The Norton and the Vincent have had prototype models floating around for about eight years now. I've given up hope that they will ever be produced and make it to a dealership of any sorts.

Don't get me wrong, I was really excited when I first saw this and the Vincent. Definitely bikes that I would love to own. But, after several years of Press Releases and demo ride of prototypes given to the print mags, I have serious doubts either company will make it.

I hope I'm wrong, for my enjoyment.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Now that's a bike I'd be interested in owning. It goes on the list of bikes I might actually buy.

Just got to wait a few months and see whether the hyperinflation happens or not.
It really is a nice looking bike; it has the right "look" for sure.

I've been drooling over some Norton rebuild/upgrade bikes advertised in Classic Motorcycle for some time now. I guess they take an original bike and rebuild it with a lot of modern components and upgrades. The price is probably astronomical though. Maybe I'll hit their website tonight and see if they post the prices.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post

I've been drooling over some Norton rebuild/upgrade bikes advertised in Classic Motorcycle for some time now. I guess they take an original bike and rebuild it with a lot of modern components and upgrades. The price is probably astronomical though. Maybe I'll hit their website tonight and see if they post the prices.
If I recall correctly, from previous limited release claims, the price will be north of $15k and I think I remember seeing it in the 18-20k range.

If I am wrong, someone correctly me, as I don't have the links anymore to support the claim.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post

The Norton reliability problem in the 60's/70's was not the robustness of the basic design as much as it was the poor quality metals the British companies were forced to use because of the Labor Govt's protectionist policies for the domestic steel industry. Not only Norton but people also remember the exploding Triumphs, Healeys and MG cars of the same era. Assemblies that were reliable in the early 50's became junk because of the flawed materials the Brit steel industry put out that these companies were forced to buy. You might also notice that the Jaguar engines of the 50's/60's were extremely heavy because the company engineered for the reduced steel quality. Companies that didn't re-engineer suffered massive failures of crankshafts, trannies, etc etc. The Japanese were using nigh quality bearings everywhere and the Brits were trying to get by with bronze bushings.

Were it not for these protectionist policies the Brit car/bike industry might have survived. Damm those unintended consequences.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
The Norton and the Vincent have had prototype models floating around for about eight years now. I've given up hope that they will ever be produced and make it to a dealership of any sorts.

Don't get me wrong, I was really excited when I first saw this and the Vincent. Definitely bikes that I would love to own. But, after several years of Press Releases and demo ride of prototypes given to the print mags, I have serious doubts either company will make it.

I hope I'm wrong, for my enjoyment.
It's going to be especially tough times for niche markets for a while. If we can avoid the likelihood of hyperinflation then the economy will start to recover. It's obviously just not a good time for luxury goods start-ups to say the least when it's likely that even getting food on the table is going to get tough.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I inquired about purchaing one when they made the prototypes. It was 18G's for one, and I would do that in a heartbeat for one. I had a 72 Combat Commando that was cherry, fiberglass tank and all. I really regret selling that one.