Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Trade tariff could cost American jobs

Original Article:
Trade tariff could cost American jobs

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Trade tariff could cost American jobs in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Last edited by administrator : 12-11-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Piaggio makes a rational response. The only problem is that they are trying to use rationality against some bureaucrats. Better to make some campaign contributions to the related Senate Commitee members.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

I'm gonna be honest with you, I'm not interested in eating hormone raised beef myself. Why would you try selling a product to people that don't want it anyway?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
I'm gonna be honest with you, I'm not interested in eating hormone raised beef myself. Why would you try selling a product to people that don't want it anyway?
Unless you buy organic you probably are already and have apparently survived the ordeal.

Well, a lot of Europeans would be very happy to eat such beef. Being it's Europe though, the govt holds its citizens in contempt and won't allow them to make the choice. Peons are too stupid. Elites are needed to make these sorts of decisions.

But the real insanity is the illogic of punishing Italian scooter companies because of the powerful European cattle industry. Don't you believe for a second that this has anything to do with hormones. That's just an excuse to keep European beef prices high for the benefit of the cattle industry and their paid-for lackeys in the EU govt.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
SmokeU
Registered Member

People have been eating genetically modified food for longer than anyone is alive. Most are just too ignorant to know it.

The tariff is quite stupid.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Genetically modified is not the same as hormone-laced. Heck, even the ancient peoples back in 5000 BC were "genetically modifying" grains, such as corn, by selecting varieties with bigger yields (and probably for better flavor). Ever seen the ancestor to modern corn? Has about as much grain on it as a modern wheat stalk. Now, there are ecological and environmental reasons to be careful with genetic modifications but I don't see that there's necessarily a reason to avoid eating stuff that has been modified.

Hormones, though. We wind up eating those hormones (and the other drugs that are used to keep yields up). One can justifiably be concerned about putting drugs into our bodies.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"

Last edited by sachiwilson : 12-12-2008 at 11:28 AM.
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Most of the hand wringing is so unwarranted. So if I had a cow smoke some dope, then I guess I'll get high eating the meat! Hormones grow muscle, muscle is turned into meat. As long as the homones are clear before slaughter nobody 'winds up' eating hormones any more than they would get high from a steer that smoked dope.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Hormones, though. We wind up eating those hormones (and the other drugs that are used to keep yields up). One can justifiably be concerned about putting drugs into our bodies.
While you have a very valid point, I really have to ask: Just WHERE is all this Hormone-swilling Livestock raised? I keep hearing about all the hormones and antibiotics they give the animals un-necessarily (particularly the complaints about the poultry industry), and I just don't see this happening.

(keep in mind, I work for the genetics-arm/breeder-operation of a major poultry producer, and my tiny company has some 45% of the US market, and over 50% of the World market - including S. America, Europe, and Asia - we sell to EVERY major poultry producer on the planet)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 12-12-2008 at 11:56 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
While you have a very valid point, I really have to ask: Just WHERE is all this Hormone-swilling Livestock raised? I keep hearing about all the hormones and antibiotics they give the animals un-necessarily (particularly the complaints about the poultry industry), and I just don't see this happening.

(keep in mind, I work for the genetics-arm/breeder-operation of a major poultry producer, and my tiny company has some 45% of the US market, and over 50% of the World market - including S. America, Europe, and Asia - we sell to EVERY major poultry producer on the planet)
Much of the scary stuff you hear is simply made up by people who have a financial interest in scaring you. I don't pay attention to the scare stuff any more. The vast majority of it is BS. Unless someone can show me true scientific evidence then I pay no attention.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I don't eat much beef myself, mainly 'cause I don't really like it. If I did though I'd just as soon not eat a bunch of BST and whatever else they stick in there. I don't see what scooters have to do with that though and it goes to show how short sighted the knee-jerk reactionary peckerheads in congress are. Scooters get phenominal gas milage, why would you want to place tariffs on them unless you're in the corn and oil lobbies pocket?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote