Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 12-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I dunno, Buz...

Last time I flew into San Diego, the new neighborhoods looked like they reached Yuma!
There are some good sand dunes just outside of Yuma, so I've been told.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
There are some good sand dunes just outside of Yuma, so I've been told.
Yes just west of Yuma there is a dune area known as Buttercup. It's not huge like Glamis but is a quick getaway for the locals. You drive right through it on I-8.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Buttercup?? Are you sure? {Searching memory . . .] I stopped at the rest area there once (friend ran out of gas) but that name just doesn't ring any bells. -- Oh I remember, the rest area was Gordon Wells. But (googling) there is a Buttercup too.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Not test riding a bike hasn't stopped me from buying it. If I want something bad enough I buy it and figure I'll adapt to it as I ride. What cheese's me off is being ignored by sales persons. That cost Suzuki a cash sale of a VStrom in July, I was standing there examining the bike with a fine tooth comb for half an hour while this sh*tbird totally ignored me to flirt with the Espresso babe. It was a hell of deal too, a leftover '07 DL1000 with GIVI bags for $7500.... I was going to trade the Bandito and pay cash for the rest and the ass-munch wouldn't even look my way, being the sensitive type like I am I figured I wasn't good enough for them and went and dropped $18k on the bagger instead.

I didn't test ride it either come to think of it though the sales lady did offer.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Not test riding a bike hasn't stopped me from buying it. If I want something bad enough I buy it and figure I'll adapt to it as I ride. What cheese's me off is being ignored by sales persons. That cost Suzuki a cash sale of a VStrom in July, I was standing there examining the bike with a fine tooth comb for half an hour while this sh*tbird totally ignored me to flirt with the Espresso babe. It was a hell of deal too, a leftover '07 DL1000 with GIVI bags for $7500.... I was going to trade the Bandito and pay cash for the rest and the ass-munch wouldn't even look my way, being the sensitive type like I am I figured I wasn't good enough for them and went and dropped $18k on the bagger instead.

I didn't test ride it either come to think of it though the sales lady did offer.
Think about it in a risk vs. reward scenario. He sells you the bike and he gets, at best, a $500 commish. He ignores the babe, and risks losing a lifetime of bliss (or at least a night). Wonder how that worked out for him.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 AM   #16
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Before we even get to the demo rides, I would just settle for a sales guy that didn't act like an ass. No offense to MOKE or Ace.

Or, at the very least, knew the product he was selling. I have been to dozens of dealerships in multiple states and I could probably count a decent sales guy that knew what he was talking about on one hand...and that hand may not have all of its digits...
Knowing the product is key. Like when I went into the Ducati dealership two weeks ago, the guy started up the 1098. I asked, "Does that thing have a dry clutch?" His response, "No." That set off the BS meter.

Lesson to all sales people: Know the product.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #17
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default From all sides

My perspective based on my professional motorcycle industry history.
As a salesman I was told from Management that test rides don't happen because the cost of insurance for the dealer would be 1/3 higher. I followed that logic for years and told people the rules early in the process. I, also, made it clear that they could ride that bike for about 50 miles or so and if they didn't like it that we'd find something they did like. I was selling clone Harley's back then.
As Finance Mgr I needed butts on bike to close sales easier. I loved working for ATD. The Euro dealers are much easier to deal with and, in fact, encourage test rides for those that can produce a M class endorsement and current bike insurance. Now, I would have it no other way.
As the Insurance guy. I kind of the hate test ride idea. If every squid had the opportunity to test a bike before they buy it then wadded up CBR1000RRs would be sitting in every bikeshop. Those weenies wouldn't listen to the "responsible" salesweasle's advice because they'd have the option of riding before the buy. If they are limited in choices it may be easier to sway a sale toward bike more suited toward the rider's ability and skill level.
Problem is that salesweasles tend to not care about the customer. They only care about the fact they are working in a job related to their hobby. Kinda like Customer No Service. If they were trained by management that most are unskill and it's good to ask a lot of questions to help guide them the business would be so much better. But I'm also the guy that believes that importers should bring the low cc bikes over and make tiered licensing reality like in Europe and Japan.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #18
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Before we even get to the demo rides, I would just settle for a sales guy that didn't act like an ass. No offense to MOKE or Ace.

Or, at the very least, knew the product he was selling. I have been to dozens of dealerships in multiple states and I could probably count a decent sales guy that knew what he was talking about on one hand...and that hand may not have all of its digits...
No offense taken, I agree. I have three guys in my shop currently that dont even own a motorcycle, but they sell em? When its slow the dealership like's to add more salesman to the floor, when this happens we get an influx of people who dont know the product. They really,really like motorcycles but thats about it. Most times all they have to do is listen to the other salesman's pitch, and repeat after them.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #19
MOKE1K
Registered Member

The way around the test ride is easy, like Ace stated, it's similar at my shop. Also you can weed out the buyers from the test riders by doing it this way.

Let's do all the paperwork and get ya signed up, you can take it down the road, if you dont like it, bring it back and we'll tear up all the paperwork.

I'v seen too many people dump it outside of the Dealers I'v worked at, and would cringe at the thought of giving test rides. I do think it could be done, if the right precautions were taken.

Sure would like to see some real insurance quotes for this type of insurance, just to see how much it does cost.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #20
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
We once had UC Irvine burn a $150,000 grant trying to determine whether beer advertising encouraged people to drink beer.
Well? DOES IT???