Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   AMA fights import duty on Euro bikes (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/10160-ama-fights-import-duty-euro-bikes.html)

Administrator 12-09-2008 01:38 PM

AMA fights import duty on Euro bikes

Original Article:

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article AMA fights import duty on Euro bikes in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 12-09-2008 01:48 PM

Oh, the irony.

Better to target EU foodstuffs. French and Italian wines for example. Dutch and Swiss chocolates etc etc.

Wouldn't work on British foods though.

mscuddy 12-09-2008 05:21 PM

What's the Beef?

Get it? Beef? Maybe they should start making bikes out of meat, to get around the tariff problem. When you get hungry on a long ride you could stop and carve a nice slice of rib roast off the tripple clamps and be good 'till dinner. Of course dogs chashing you would be a big problem, 'specially them pit bulls. Had one latch on to my left boot once trying to locate a dime bag of weed in the Pico Union district, that got my attention. And I was on my Jawa 90 so I couldn't out run the damn thing. Dogs. sheesh. Whattya gonna do?

acecycleins 12-09-2008 05:53 PM

Just great! The Feds are once again trying to put the small business man out of business. Most of these Euro dealers are like my buddy Paul at NPR Ducati or the guy that owns the new Aprilia franchise in Dahlonega. They don't employ but 5-8 guys. The new TM dealer or KTM dealers should just sell off everything now.

I can hear it now:
Ag Sec: The beef industry is p!ssed because they won't let us export their product to Europe.
Deputy Ag Sec: I got an idea. Lets propose an import tarrif on low cc Euro weenie motorcycles. Screw those guys anyway. They don't help our economy.
Ag Sec: Sweet! Draw up the proposal and we'll send it to the Commerce Sec and see what sh!t hit the fan.

Because our Commerce Secretary doesn't actually understand how free trade works he could care less. So it goes.

When that happens: TM KTM Aprilia Piaggio and a host of others will stop bringing cool dirtbikes and scooters and any other low cc bikes that we should be encouraging the import of for newbies. Followed by the pull-out of dealer support and finally manufacturer warehousing. Only thousands of jobs- not tens of thousands- will be lost so the Commerce Sec and the Labor Sec will find no harm in it. And so it goes- again. Jack@sses!

sfcdjevans 12-09-2008 06:04 PM

The motorcycle interweb is a twitter with this. So has everyone contacted their pols yet? How about makeing a duplicate post before reading the new posts. Heavy sigh, just me huh?

pplassm 12-10-2008 06:42 AM

Here we go again. Wasn't this proposed before, oh, about 6 years ago?

It was shot down then, lets hope it happens again.

longride 12-10-2008 07:00 AM

You are correct. This all went around in 2002. I think Bush can be blamed here somewhere, but I'm not sure how. Maybe someone can help me with this?

SmokeU 12-10-2008 07:13 AM

WTF?!?!?!??!

YAY!! Everything's going to hell in a Vespa's front basket.

MOKE1K 12-10-2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by administrator (Post 198817)
Original Article:

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article AMA fights import duty on Euro bikes in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Dont these guys have anything better to do? Give people some power and they become drunk with it.