Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default XR 1200 - Coming Soon to a Harley Dealer Near You!

So, I open my mailbox (the one they put paper stuff in) and there is a flyer from HD. They are offering a limited set of 750 (in honor of the original XR750) Sportster XR 1200's! You have to rush in and sign up (no deposit mentioned, but I'm sure there will be one) to get your bike.

They must noticed the Yermamaha VMax marketing ploy and liked it. I really wonder how many of the hundreds of posters who whined they couldn't get one of these will actually buy one. 10%? 20%? 750?

The flyer is clever, if you don't read it carefully, you'd get the idea there will only be 750 at all...but this is just the first batch.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 11-24-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

It'd be difficult for me to commit to buying a bike site unseen, let alone price unknown. I'd definitely like to check one out in person, though.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well there it is, I'm going to have to sell my children:

For sale, two attractive white females, aged 17 & 18, one full on Goth chic, one full on preppy (requires infusions of Abercrombie & Fitch, Holister, Aeropostle etc..on a regular basis at added expense) both good at cooking & housework though usually require threats of violence as motivator. Both smoke, swear like troopers and steal my booze to give to their worthless deadbeat boy friends (worthless deadbeat boyfriends included at no extra charge)...

Make an offer today through the Buy Sarnali a Sportster @ MO.com sweepstakes..(odds of winning pretty well non-existent)

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post

For sale, two attractive white females, aged 17 & 18, one full on Goth chic, one full on preppy (requires infusions of Abercrombie & Fitch, Holister, Aeropostle etc..on a regular basis at added expense) both good at cooking & housework though usually require threats of violence as motivator. Both smoke, swear like troopers and steal my booze to give to their worthless deadbeat boy friends (worthless deadbeat boyfriends included at no extra charge)...

Make an offer today through the Buy Sarnali a Sportster @ MO.com sweepstakes..(odds of winning pretty well non-existent)
You appear to be doomed. Just wait until you have to pay for the Starter Marriages for both daughters and their aforementioned deadbeat boyfriends.

On my mother's side of the family my brother and I are the only males spawned from the family cesspool. At least three times a year my mother calls to mention how easy she had and counts herself lucky that she is not responsible for any of the 8 girls that my Aunts and Uncles produced.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
So, I open my mailbox (the one they put paper stuff in) and there is a flyer from HD. They are offering a limited set of 750 (in honor of the original XR750) Sportster XR 1200's! You have to rush in and sign up (no deposit mentioned, but I'm sure there will be one) to get your bike.

They must noticed the Yermamaha VMax marketing ploy and liked it. I really wonder how many of the hundreds of posters who whined they couldn't get one of these will actually buy one. 10%? 20%? 750?

The flyer is clever, if you don't read it carefully, you'd get the idea there will only be 750 at all...but this is just the first batch.
Well, good job Harley. Releasing a bike three years too late in a market that is currently disaterous for luxury item purchases.

I am not a fan of dumb@ss marketing plans.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If everyone was honest here, Harley wouldn't, and won't, sell more than a handful of these bikes. Why? Same reason Buell's don't sell. It's a 'tweener'. It ain't a cruiser and it ain't a 'real' sportbike. It is expensive for what you get, so it's doomed to sell to an aging guy that wants a performance Sporty. Add in that the average 'Harley Guy' thinks Sportys are 'chick bikes' and there ya have it. Doomed from the start it was. I know everyone ohhhs and ahhhs over this bike, but very few will plunk down the bucks to own one. Harley ain't is dumb as they seem. They know.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I know everyone ohhhs and ahhhs over this bike, but very few will plunk down the bucks to own one.
This bike has been the finest example of motojournohype in decades. I can pull 6-7 magazines off my shelf that put this bike somewhere between the invention of Cheeze Whiz and the Second Coming. Endless comparisons, raving reviews, curses to Harley for only selling it overseas.

Yet the truth is, the whole damn time, it's a Sportster with a couple grand in upgrades. Same 50 year old engine design, same frame, yada yada yada.

My question is: what motivates the motojournalist community to do this stuff? Is it the free trips to test the bike in Spain and the related goodies? It's a good thing that the motorcycling press informs us of new products, gets us excited about new bikes and technologies, but where is the line drawn? But, if a manufacturer handed out a free trip to the Swiss Alps for a week of riding, dining, hotels, etc., and the bike was average, would the review say so? Or would it rave on about the tiniest details of the new suspension widget, while ignoring the fact this is essentially the same bike as last year?

These questions are why I'm calling on United States Senator Bill Graham (D, FL) to open Congressional hearings on the motorcycle trade press and it's all too cozy relationship with motorcycle manufacturers, suppliers, accessory manufacturers and distributors, and that guy who sells donuts at I-95 and Glades Road.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I could tell you a few stories Ken, but not on this forum.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post

Dam, that's funny!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
This bike has been the finest example of motojournohype in decades. I can pull 6-7 magazines off my shelf that put this bike somewhere between the invention of Cheeze Whiz and the Second Coming. Endless comparisons, raving reviews, curses to Harley for only selling it overseas.

Yet the truth is, the whole damn time, it's a Sportster with a couple grand in upgrades. Same 50 year old engine design, same frame, yada yada yada.

My question is: what motivates the motojournalist community to do this stuff? Is it the free trips to test the bike in Spain and the related goodies? It's a good thing that the motorcycling press informs us of new products, gets us excited about new bikes and technologies, but where is the line drawn? But, if a manufacturer handed out a free trip to the Swiss Alps for a week of riding, dining, hotels, etc., and the bike was average, would the review say so? Or would it rave on about the tiniest details of the new suspension widget, while ignoring the fact this is essentially the same bike as last year?

These questions are why I'm calling on United States Senator Bill Graham (D, FL) to open Congressional hearings on the motorcycle trade press and it's all too cozy relationship with motorcycle manufacturers, suppliers, accessory manufacturers and distributors, and that guy who sells donuts at I-95 and Glades Road.
Ask John Burns what happens when you don't truckle to the manufacturers.