Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Nefilim
Registered Member

Default Cloudy Chrome

So I was just cleaning some of the tiny rust speckles off of my bike and mistook the chrome exhaust for stainless steel exhaust. I could have swore the guy I bought it from said they were stainless steel...

But nonetheless, I used the "abrasive" side of one of those household sponges and some WD-40. Now one section that I cleaned is cloudy. What should I do?

I tried finger nail polish remover, chrome cleaner, and a polishing ball.
Nefilim is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

If you've scuffed-through the chrome plating, not much CAN be done.

Dad and I always used a steel-wool S.O.S. pad on "rusty" chrome to keep from scratching it up - but stainless steel would be ruined by that (I'm sure you know).

New parts, or make friends with someone that works in a plating shop.

Sorry.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

AirHawk is probably right, but if there is chrome left you might have a chance at getting a shine again with some 000 grade steel wool. You can get the stuff at Home Despot or Lowe's.

Once the exhaust has been run you can't get it replated, at least not around here. I tried to get my '77 FXX OEM exhaust replated, but they said once the carbon and junk was inside the pipe, they wouldn't put it in their dip tank. Apparently the risk of fouling their tank of very expensive chrome stuff isn't worth it to them.

There are a couple of brands of exhaust-specific spray paint out there that work pretty well. I did my VStrom's pipes with some because I didn't like the factory finish and it turned out pretty good. Here's "Before and After" photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DL1K Exhaust After.JPG (156.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DL1K Exhaust Before.JPG (166.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 10-25-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
AirHawk is probably right, but if there is chrome left you might have a chance at getting a shine again with some 000 grade steel wool. You can get the stuff at Home Despot or Lowe's.

Once the exhaust has been run you can't get it replated, at least not around here. I tried to get my '77 FXX OEM exhaust replated, but they said once the carbon and junk was inside the pipe, they wouldn't put it in their dip tank. Apparently the risk of fouling their tank of very expensive chrome stuff isn't worth it to them.

There are a couple of brands of exhaust-specific spray paint out there that work pretty well. I did my VStrom's pipes with some because I didn't like the factory finish and it turned out pretty good. Here's "Before and After" photos.
Interesting. I took the four head pipes from my '91 GSX1100G to a local plating shop and they replated them without comment. I used to work in a plating shop and they had a stripper bath. Maybe you should have tried a different shop.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Interesting. I took the four head pipes from my '91 GSX1100G to a local plating shop and they replated them without comment. I used to work in a plating shop and they had a stripper bath. Maybe you should have tried a different shop.
Heck, I'd go just for the stripper bath even if I didn't have anything to chrome.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well the old backyard chopper trick was to scuff up the rest of the pipes and spray them with Hi Heat flat Black or High Heat flat White paint. Gives it a gnarly custom look, either that or Kens Mexi-Chrome looks pretty good. I wouldn't bother getting them re-chromed myself.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default What brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post

What brand did you use. My Uly can is starting to rust and flake (after only one year) and I'm thinking of repainting. Any other special tips / techniques?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Dr. S, you can use the 'BBQ' paint on your can. It'd probably work on your bike, too Make sure you scuff the metal with some fine wet/dry sandpaper first.

I've also seen the 'silver' stuff that I assume Ken used.

Nefilim, it sounds like you marred the chrome plate. It probably cannot be repaired. You might try some chrome polish and a power buffer, but methinks you have already cut through the chrome layer, and any further attempts to make it chiney will only make it worse.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
What brand did you use. My Uly can is starting to rust and flake (after only one year) and I'm thinking of repainting. Any other special tips / techniques?
PR, I used a satin finish black from an auto parts store. I tried the Krylon BBQ paint first, and it didn't work well, especially right where the header exits the head. This other stuff has held up better than I thought it would It's been on there 10 months or so and still looks good.

Doc Sprock, I have the can in my bike shop. I'll check the brand tonight when I put the bike away and post late tonight or first thing this morning for you.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Just use VHT brand flameproof paint. It is sold at any auto store in a variety of colors. Works well for cylinders, pipes, or mufflers.

Last edited by longride : 10-27-2008 at 07:53 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote