Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 11-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
KM, what did you end up choosing? How much was it? BTW, how many miles did you get out of the OEM's?

I just replaced the rear on my Uly with the Pirelli. I think the tire cost $202. I got 10K miles out of the rear (front is still good), but I don't know if that's good or bad.
I'm probably going to buy with the next paycheck barring unforseen events. There's still enough tread on the rear to last another 500-1000, they have 10,5oo total. The front has a lot of tread, but they handle like doo doo on the street. I'm 90% sure on the Contin Trail Attacks, they're the closest thing to a street tire with just a hint of off-road mint. But they're about $400 with install and balance. I may spring for a fork lift (already have a Pit Bull for the back) and get them at Cycle Gear. They'll order what you want and mount with computer balance for $20. Boca Cycle wants $50 to mount and balance, and they don't have the computer setup.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Those tires too 'spensive. I've found that KENDAS work just as good for half the cost, and for some reason those Korean tyre companies can copy a Dunlop of Connie to the "T" without fear of lawsuits. Try it, you'll like it...

I used to use Cheng Shins when I was poor. I don't know how Kenda's stack up with them but I think the Cheng Shins were made out of the same compound as solid rubber fork lift tires. I honestly don't know anyone who has worn a pair out. I had a set on my '78 Sportster and had a ball slidin around in the rain on them. The Sporty had wide bars and Proggressive suspension with an 18 inch rear, 19 inch front set up and would break loose like a Flat Tracker. Probably work good on your 'Strom

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #13
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Cool! Let us know what you think of them after you get some miles on 'em.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I had a set on my '78 Sportster and had a ball slidin around in the rain on them. The Sporty had wide bars and Proggressive suspension with an 18 inch rear, 19 inch front set up and would break loose like a Flat Tracker. Probably work good on your 'Strom
With the youngster on the back so much these days, I'm looking for sticky sticky sticky tires. Besides, I'm chickenshirt anymore; one too many broken bones. And my goitter, let me tell you, the pain drives me insane! And the gas, Mildred, she just can't sleep in the room anymore. She tried to light an incense stick to cover the smell and the blast blew the windows out. Did I mention my goiter?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #15
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Time to replace the OEM TrailWings on the DL1000. Due to the 19" front wheel, my options are fairly limited (I've been thinking about fitting a 17" wheel from an SV, but that's another thread). Anyhoo, I'm down to either:

Continental Conti Trail Attack - about $350
Continental Conti Trail Attack Dual Sport Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

Metzler ME880 - about $220
Metzeler ME 880 Marathon Touring Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

The Contis have a tread pattern that I prefer over the ME's, (they look cool to me, ok?) If there wasn't the $130 price diff, I'd buy them w/o a 2ond thought. Them ME880's look like the stock tires on HDs!

Anybody have experience with either or both? Or, did I miss a good 3rd choice?

Dont have any personal experience but have a few DL customers that love the Metzler. One swears by them, says they are the best of both worlds as far as grip and long life. Good luck Ken!!